PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions

dan8152
11-13-07, 03:32 PM
Hi all first post here.
well I am a former 0311 and 8152 and have been out for over 10 years. I just finished a year in the National Guard (try one year program)and it made me miss the Marines more than ever. I have felt guilty since Sept 11th that I never reenlisted even though I said yes on the post card the HMC sent me about volunteering right after. I never heard back. I had a steady girlfriend and was in college.

Fast forward now I am single just turned 32 and have been working on my reenlistment back into the Marine Reserve. I am torn between taking a support position or going back into the infantry unit that is close to me. Part of me thinks I may be to old to hang with the infantry as a 32 year old CPL. I have maintained myself since I have been out and still could pull off a first class PFT I bet. I feel if I don't do it now I will forever have guilt.

My parents are old and not sure how they would handle a deployment. I live close and help them out often. They keep saying that I have done my time twice now and that is enough.

anybody else hear reenlist after 10 years or so?

sorry so long but I have asked this question to so many people and they all think I am crazy for wanting to go back in.

who else to turn to than fellow Marines

thanks much and Semper Fi

Sgt Leprechaun
11-13-07, 03:46 PM
LOL....welcome to MY world pal. BTDT. I did 82-89 active, spent the next few years in/out of the reserves, including the Army reserve as a grunt, civilian cop, then back on AD in 97. 4 more on AD, got out right after 9/11 (I was at the Pentagon for that).

To make a longer story shorter...my daughter developed a major medical problem making it impossible for me to deploy any longer, and thus, I couldn't get promoted to SSgt. So I got out.

And....I just re-enlisted into the Air Guard.

Some things I learned, mostly the hard way:

Everyone WILL think you are nuts.

It's NOT the same Corps you left.

You'll likely be one of the 'old men' in your unit. However, your rank will mean your 'age peers' are likely SNCO's, while your 'rank peers' are kids. This may, or may not, be an issue. (It wasn't for me most of the time)

Your parents will not take this well if you go active. Mine didn't. But it was something I had to do. Reserves are a tad different.

If you have a decent job that you like in the civvie world, do something 'fun' in the Corps, be it Infantry or whatever. If you are looking to retrain into something else, or earn a trade, change jobs, whatever, then do that. Either way, pick something you will like doing. You are too old to play BS games.

Your age will both help and hurt you. So will your 'old Corps' experience. However, there are far more combat vets these days in all units, and they will be the Marines that are the real 'old men' that are looked up to. Be prepared to deal with that.

Get used to taking orders from Marines 10 years or younger than you are, without your life experience.

There are more, but those are the baseline for now. You can certainly PM me if you like.

dan8152
11-19-07, 09:12 PM
LOL....welcome to MY world pal. BTDT. I did 82-89 active, spent the next few years in/out of the reserves, including the Army reserve as a grunt, civilian cop, then back on AD in 97. 4 more on AD, got out right after 9/11 (I was at the Pentagon for that).

To make a longer story shorter...my daughter developed a major medical problem making it impossible for me to deploy any longer, and thus, I couldn't get promoted to SSgt. So I got out.

And....I just re-enlisted into the Air Guard.

Some things I learned, mostly the hard way:

Everyone WILL think you are nuts.

It's NOT the same Corps you left.

You'll likely be one of the 'old men' in your unit. However, your rank will mean your 'age peers' are likely SNCO's, while your 'rank peers' are kids. This may, or may not, be an issue. (It wasn't for me most of the time)

Your parents will not take this well if you go active. Mine didn't. But it was something I had to do. Reserves are a tad different.

If you have a decent job that you like in the civvie world, do something 'fun' in the Corps, be it Infantry or whatever. If you are looking to retrain into something else, or earn a trade, change jobs, whatever, then do that. Either way, pick something you will like doing. You are too old to play BS games.

Your age will both help and hurt you. So will your 'old Corps' experience. However, there are far more combat vets these days in all units, and they will be the Marines that are the real 'old men' that are looked up to. Be prepared to deal with that.

Get used to taking orders from Marines 10 years or younger than you are, without your life experience.

There are more, but those are the baseline for now. You can certainly PM me if you like.

thanks so much for that information SGT. I was looking at small arms repair MOS too. I am open to other MOS's just depending on the school length. I would love combat camera though. I am still having a hard time with the prior service recruiter getting back to me. I feel like I'm the recruiter calling and hounding him..lol

I did small arms repair in the guard and enjoyed it. I even graduated Honor grad at the MOS school...not hard when you are the only Marine there..lol

I guess I will try calling the PSR again tomorrow and talk MOS

RLeon
11-19-07, 11:35 PM
I totally understand your dilemma. I'm kind of in your boat.
I hope it works out for you.
Semper Fi!

grizzly
11-20-07, 12:18 AM
I am unable to give you a definative answer,I would only suggest that old saying "To thine own self be true":iwo:

sparkie
11-20-07, 07:26 AM
Yep, Only a Marine could understand you, All the rest would think you nuts. Good luck, and go for it.

bootlace15
11-20-07, 07:34 AM
If your parents need you,and you enjoy helping them,you did your time. However,if they are healthy enough and can make it without your help,then do what you must do. This has to be your decision and not ours. What ever you do Good Luck.

bootlace15 out