PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Beach Marine comes home

thedrifter
11-13-07, 10:16 AM
Monday, November 12, 2007
Huntington Beach Marine comes home

By ANNIE BURRIS
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

The Smith Elementary School alumnus presents a flag to students who sent gifts to his platoon in Iraq.

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Lance Cpl. Stephen Galli has wanted to be a U.S. Marine since he was in grade school at Smith Elementary.

He graduated from Huntington Beach High School a semester before his peers in 2006 so he could hurry to boot camp. He was deployed in March with the 2nd battalion 5th Marines in Ramadi, Iraq.

When Smith Elementary School Principal Michael Andrzejewski heard of Galli's deployment, he made helping the alum's platoon in Iraq the grade school's mission.

In May, students sent 73 boxes filled with hygienic products, candy, magazines and squirt guns addressed to Galli in Iraq.

Their efforts were part of Smith's biannual Kids for Kindness program that focuses on helping the community.

Galli, 20, who returned from Iraq in October, presented a flag from the frontlines of Iraq to his alma mater on Friday. It was a way to say thank you for gifts Smith students sent to his platoon in Iraq, he said.

"I'll never forget how special it was for me and all of my fellow Marines to receive all the (gifts)," Galli said.

About 200 fourth- and fifth-grade students attended the Veterans Day ceremony at the school where Galli, dressed in a Marine uniform, presented a flag to Andrzejewski.

"The story comes full circle" Andrzejewski said at the assembly. "I want you (the students) to see how when you use kindness in different ways it makes a difference for people."

The flag was flown in an Iraqi combat zone in honor of the students at Smith.

"It was cool," said student Jakob Gonterman, 10, after the presentation. "I was proud."

Galli said he couldn't believe the number of boxes the students had sent him.

"There were enough boxes to fill a small room," he said about handing the gifts to his peers. "It was Christmas Day for everyone in my platoon."

Contact the writer: aburris@ocregister.com or 714-445-6696

Ellie