PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert church sends Marines in Iraq letters, packages, pictures

thedrifter
11-13-07, 07:21 AM
Gilbert church sends Marines in Iraq letters, packages, pictures
Hayley Ringle, Tribune

When Marine Cpl. Kerbee Preston Lake wrote to her family in Gilbert and mentioned 19 of her fellow Marines in Iraq weren’t receiving any mail from home, her parents turned to their church for help.

Families attending Gilbert’s Maplewood Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints quickly adopted the 19 Marines and started sending out care packages, letters and pictures last month to show they were not forgotten. They’ll continue sending items until the Marines come home.

“It’s tremendous,” said Preston Lake’s father, Aubrey Preston, a Vietnam veteran. “Any individual that helps out a soldier deserves a handshake, whether it be a church member or somebody walking down the street. The fact that any one person would take the time to send something over, that’s special.”

Kerbee Preston Lake is known as sort of the “mother hen” to some of the Marines she serves with. Whenever someone is in need, she helps out or tries to get help, her father said.

Preston Lake has been serving in Iraq since August with the Marine Wing Support Squadron 372. The 21-year-old repairs Humvees and other heavy equipment and provides security for the air wing her squadron supports.

“I’m as proud as I can be,” Aubrey Preston said. “I’m not happy she’s over there, but that’s her job, and she told me not to worry. These guys and girls are just unbelievable with their attitude and the commitment they have with their job. They have a mission, a purpose, and they believe in what they’re doing. That’s why it makes me so proud that people are supporting them.”

Susan Jobe of Gilbert and her husband, Joe, chose to adopt Preston Lake, and her two sons adopted two other Marines.

Jobe said she thought it would be “fantastic” to adopt one of the Marines after hearing about it in church. Several of her family members have served, and she said she was just “excited” to help and send anything that would make their lives easier.

“I just think they’re doing a fantastic job,” Jobe said. “They put their lives on the line for me and my family. The reason that I’m here is because of all the people that have fought for our freedom.”

Preston Lake decided to join the military after Sept. 11, 2001. She signed up for the pre-enlistment program while still at Gilbert High School. She has already re-enlisted for another four years. Her daughter, Aroura Lake, who will be 2 years old on Thanksgiving, is staying with Aubrey and his wife, Rosemary.

“When she left here and went away to boot camp, it was hard,” Aubrey Preston said. “But when she came back from boot camp, she walked in a woman. I cried that night. It’s a pride that’s just something else.”

Ellie