PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day events honors those 'who kept us free'

thedrifter
11-12-07, 08:50 AM
Veterans Day events honors those 'who kept us free'
The Washington Times
November 12, 2007

By Arlo Wagner - Veterans Day ceremonies in the nation's capital began yesterday morning with the traditional wreath-laying at Arlington National Cemetery, followed by an afternoon speech by former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, where thousands commemorated its 25th anniversary.

Armed forces veterans have given Americans the liberty to be "free to live as we see fit, free to work, worship, speak our minds, to choose our own leaders," said Vice President Dick Cheney, who spoke at the cemetery on a brisk autumn morning before hundreds of people, included children dressed in military fatigues and motorcyclists in leather jackets.

"Above all, they kept us free at the land we call home," said Mr. Cheney, including service members from World War I to those in the "current fight against terrorism."

"May the rest of us never take them for granted," he said.

Mr. Cheney referred to Gen. David H. Petraeus, the U.S. commander in Iraq, in saying troops there are fighting in a complex and challenging situation, then praised them for a "magnificent job."

"The conduct of our military today and throughout our nation's history makes this country very proud," Mr. Cheney said. "It is our prayer they will return in victory, safely home, to live out their lives and be here to observe many Veterans Days to come."

The crowd cheered when the vice president offered "personal regards from President George W. Bush."

The president was at American Legion Post 121 in Waco, Texas, honoring U.S. troops past and present but more specifically to honor four Texans who were among 3,860 U.S. military men who have died in Iraq since 2001.

"These men and women saw the future of the terrorists' intent for our country and they said with clear voices, 'Not on my watch,' " Mr. Bush said.

"We are blessed to have such brave defenders," the president continued. "They are tomorrow's veterans, and they are bringing pride to our country. The enemies who attacked us six years ago want to strike our country again, and next time, they hope to kill Americans on a scale that will make 9/11 pale by comparison."

In the District, thousands of people at the Vietnam memorial on the Mall cheered as a letter was presented from "the president and first lady."

Many in the crowd were wearing symbols of their military service: dress uniforms, labeled caps and hats and black T-shirts with signs for Missing In Action. They sat and stood in the slight incline in front of the 247-foot-long, black granite-wall memorial, etched with 58,256 names of dead and missing-in-action military personnel and nurses.

"There's magic in this wall," said Mr. Powell, a former Army general. "There is no politics here; no policies here."

The U.S. military forces in Vietnam fought for the same American causes of previous wars, and the wall had the effect of unifying all Americans, he said.

The weeklong commemorations to the 25 anniversary concluded yesterday. Though visitors continuously leave letters and other mementos at the foot of the wall, those who came last week left thousands more. Some of the memorabilia will be included in an underground Vietnam Memorial museum.

"America is the home of the free only because it is the home of the brave," said Dirk Kempthorne, secretary of the interior and former U.S. senator from Boise, Idaho.

Mary "Edie" Meeks, board member of the Vietnam Women's Memorial Foundation, was a nurse in the Vietnam War and recalled how veterans were scorned for many years because the war is considered the only one the U.S. lost.

Mrs. Meeks, who worked 12-hour days, six days a week, recalled caring for wounded men who seemed to ignore their injuries and instead urged care for others. Mrs. Meeks said that upon returning to the U.S., she threw her uniform and gear into the trash and that "certain veterans organizations would not let us join because we had lost the war."

A citation by her daughter and a visit to the wall when it was completed 25 years ago changed her attitude.

"I went to the wall for the first time and touched it - and I cried," she said. "Today, I'm so proud I was a nurse. I'm so proud that I served in Vietnam. I can say out loud, 'We are the best.' "

The afternoon program closed with the playing of Taps after 40 groups - including the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, Vietnam Women's Memorial, Gold Star Mothers of America and Military Order of the Purple Heart -placed wreaths at the base of the wall.

Ellie