PDA

View Full Version : Marines honor 232nd birthday

thedrifter
11-12-07, 08:02 AM
Posted November 12, 2007

Marines honor 232nd birthday
By Ivy Farguheson
Journal staff

Austin Kolodziej of Stevens Point got married Friday, and instead embarking on a honeymoon he went to another important event in his life: the Marine Corps Ball.

Along with Marine Corps Leagues across the world, the central Wisconsin Detachment held their Marine Corps Ball on Saturday night to celebrate the 232nd birthday of the Marine Corps.

Although he's been in the Corps for four-and-a-half years, Austin and his wife Abigail wanted to take time to celebrate with other Marines, even if it was one day after their wedding.

"The Marine Corps birthday means a lot to me," he said. "To get together with other Marines ... it's like a brotherhood."

Each year, the central Wisconsin group awards community service ribbons to fellow veterans who have continued to put the community ahead of themselves. They begin the night with the oldest Marine in attendance feeding cake to the youngest Marine. Austin, 22, was the youngest Marine attendance this year. Bob Ritter, who joined the Marine Corps in 1942 and served during World War II, was the oldest.

Bill Nuck is the senior vice commandant for the group and one of its charter members.

"It's a big thing throughout the Marine Corps, regardless of where you are," he said. "Around the world, in Afghanistan and Iraq, they're having something special to celebrate the Marine Corps birthday. It's heartwarming to know that we're the few, the proud."

Ed Pliska received a special community service award on Saturday night for his commitment to community projects like Toys for Tots and other Marine Corps programs.

"It's an honor being a Marine and continuing service," he said. "It was a little surprising to me (winning the award) ... but I was pleased with it."

Austin and Abigail will spend their honeymoon in Hawaii this summer, but Saturday night they were just pleased to be around Marines.

"I wouldn't be anywhere else," Abigail said. "It's been one of the greatest honors that I'll ever have in my life."

Ivy Farguheson can be reached at 345-2249 or ifarguhe@gannett.com.

Ellie