PDA

View Full Version : The magnificent seven: Brothers, Marines

thedrifter
11-11-07, 08:05 AM
Published - Sunday, November 11, 2007

The magnificent seven: Brothers, Marines
By STEVE CAHALAN | La Crosse Tribune

ONALASKA, Wis. — Al and Bob Sobkowiak started a long family tradition when they joined the Marine Corps in 1951.

Today, a marble bench at the veterans memorial in the Onalaska Cemetery bears the names of all seven Sobkowiak brothers who served in the Marines.

The brothers, who range in age from 61 to 76, paid for the bench to commemorate their service. And most of them plan to be buried in that cemetery some day.

Their parents, the late Walter and Lillian Sobkowiak, raised nine sons and three daughters on their rural Onalaska dairy farm. All 12 siblings are still living.

Walter did not serve in the military, but he and his wife supported Al and Bob’s decision to join the Marines together during the Korean War.

“We joined because of a sense of duty,” Al said last week at his home, which is on part of the former Sobkowiak farm. “The Korean War was going on, and we wanted to do our share. We had patriotic parents. They said ‘If that’s what you want to do, do it.’”

Al, 76, was in the Marines for 21 years.

Bob, 74, was in the Marines for three years before shifting to the Marine Reserve for nine years.

During the Korean War, Bob was carrying a wounded buddy over his shoulders through a trench when shrapnel rained from the sky, killing his buddy. “That’s the closest call I ever had,” Bob said.

During the Korean War, Al was stationed in Europe.

His closest call came years later, in 1966 in Vietnam, where he served two tours. The platoon he was leading was ambushed, and three rifle bullets hit Al’s right leg.

Most of the Sobkowiaks were sergeants when they left the Marines; Al retired as a captain.

“I never made any of the guys call me Captain — just Sir,” Al joked.

Al was armed with the same sense of humor when asked why five of the brothers — Charlie, Ronnie, Bernard, Dennis and Don — eventually followed Al and Bob into the Marines.

“We told the rest of them that we’d break their legs if they didn’t join,” Al said, laughing. “They valued their personal well being.”

Steve Cahalan can be reached at (60 791-8229 or scahalan@ lacrossetribune.com.

Ellie