PDA

View Full Version : 1st U.S. Servicewoman Is Killed in Iraq

thedrifter
04-05-03, 03:20 PM
By LYNN DUCEY, Associated Press Writer

TUBA CITY, Ariz. - Pfcs. Lori Piestewa and Jessica Lynch were roommates and friends. For more than a week, their families a continent apart were joined in waiting for word of their fate in Iraq (news - web sites).

On Saturday, as Lynch's parents left their West Virginia home to fly to Germany for a reunion with their rescued daughter, Piestewa's mourned the death of the first American servicewoman killed in the war.

Both women were members of the Army's 507th Maintenance Company, based at Fort Bliss in Texas. Their unit was attacked March 23 when it made a wrong turn near Nasiriyah.

After an agonizing wait, the Lynch family received their miracle Tuesday: U.S. commandos rescued Lynch, wounded but alive, from a hospital.

They unearthed eight bodies as well. Friday night, Piestewa's family learned that she was among them.

Piestewa, 23, was a member of the Hopi Tribe, whose reservation is near the Navajo Reservation community of Tuba City. She was a single mother raising a 4-year-old boy and a 3-year-old girl.

"Our family is proud of her. She is our hero," her brother Wayland said Saturday in a prepared statement to reporters. "We are going to hold that in our hearts. She will not be forgotten. It gives us comfort to know that she is at peace right now."

Behind him, family members and friends gathered on the porch of Piestewa's parents' trailer. Cars stopped briefly in front of the home as neighbors got out and handed flowers to the family.

A low chain-link fence in front of the home was adorned with yellow ribbons, a red, white and blue heart and a sign with a picture of Piestewa, the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center towers.

The Lynch family got word of the deaths just before boarding a plane in Charleston, W.Va., on their way to Germany. The family broke off a news conference after being told that seven members of their daughter's unit were among the eight bodies retrieved during the raid.

"I wasn't aware of this ... Our hearts are really saddened for her other troop members and the other families," Lynch's father, Gregory Lynch Sr., said before choking up.

Piestewa and Lynch were good friends and roommates, said Myra Draper, a friend of the Piestewa family. She recognized Lynch in television broadcasts because she had seen family photos of the two women together.

"Our prayers are with the Lynch family in West Virginia," said Wayne Taylor Jr., chairman of the Hopi Tribe. "We thank God that she survived her ordeal. Her bravery speaks volumes of her character and we wish her a continued speedy recovery."

Piestewa was one of the very few American Indian women in the armed forces. Hopi officials said that 56 Hopis are serving in the U.S. military, 48 of them in Iraq.

This town of 8,200 and members of the Hopi and Navajo tribes rallied around Piestewa's family, hanging yellow balloons and uplifting messages outside their trailer.

On Saturday, just inside the entrance to the Bashas' Supermarket, residents crowded to view a large photo of Piestewa in uniform and sign green poster boards with messages to the family.

"She was so full of spirit. There was never a time I saw her upset or mad," Gloria Bigman said.

"It's hard to understand; one lived, one didn't," said the Rev. Hal Corbett, pastor at Tuba City Assembly of God.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030405/capt.1049581752.war_pow_piestewa_death_azth105.jpg

Pfcs. Lori Piestewa, right, and Jessica Lynch pose at Fort Bliss, Texas the day before their deployment to the Middle East in Feb. 2003. The Army notified the Piestewa family in Tuba City, Ariz., Friday, April 4, 2003, that they had recovered Lori's remains after rescuing Jessica, who was in Piestewa's company in Iraq (news - web sites). (AP Photo/courtesy Piestewa family)

Sempers,

Roger

greensideout
04-05-03, 08:18 PM
Just a note of interest:

Marine Corps helos of HMH-462, based at MCAF, Santa Ana Calif. moved the Hopi tribe to it's current location in AZ. in 1964.

Why they were relocated I don't know. What I do remember most is that the place they were at was much better then where we took them. Seemed sad to me at the time.

Semper Fi

SheWolf
04-06-03, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by greensideout
Just a note of interest:

Marine Corps helos of HMH-462, based at MCAF, Santa Ana Calif. moved the Hopi tribe to it's current location in AZ. in 1964.

Why they were relocated I don't know. What I do remember most is that the place they were at was much better then where we took them. Seemed sad to me at the time.

Semper Fi

of course the place where they were was better than where they were put,, that's why they were moved,,, some "American" wanted want the Hopi had,, and took it,,

some things never change :no: