PDA

View Full Version : Challenge coins

cajunguy
04-05-03, 02:53 PM
Question for the forum.

I hear and read about "Challenge coins".

I know what they are, but where did this start?
What is the history of them, and how are they used? :confused:

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, and Semper Fi to all. :marine:

greybeard
04-05-03, 03:46 PM
You're ahead of me-I don't have a clue what they are

kilo1
04-05-03, 04:16 PM
?? must be something just for some one to make money on

Osotogary
04-05-03, 05:01 PM
I could be wrong but I believe the challenge coins originated right around the time of the World War II Pacific Island conflicts. I believe that I read about "Challenge Coins" in an issue of Leatherneck Magazine awhile back.
Gary

geeze
04-05-03, 07:25 PM
are'nt they coins carried by

special Force outfits, with the name of the group on them or something to that effect. And if you run into a person from that outfit or orginization and you were also part of that orginization; Rangers, Green Beenies, etc., if you were to ask that person for his "coin" and he did'nt have it, he owed you and anyone with him and you a drink. They could also challenge you to see your coin. Thats basically how it was explained to me by a Green Beenie. I guess if you were part of these orginizations, you better carry that coin with you, in case you run into someone who could challenge you.

SheWolf
04-05-03, 08:01 PM
yep,, my Sergeant Major gave me one when I was stationed in Europe,, still have it ,,,, somewhere

MillRatUSMC
04-05-03, 11:43 PM
Samples of Challenge Coins <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
http://www.geocities.com/rickmso/challenge.html <br />
A Brief History of Challenge Coins <br />
<br />
Challenge coins were originally used by Special Forces to recognize...

Barrio_rat
04-06-03, 12:24 AM
We never had a coin check or challenge coin. But then, I guess, in the airwing we just did it a bit different. We had PIN CHECKS. The use of a safety pin off of a rocket launcher - these were sought after very much and used much in the same way described above - but only Aviation Ordnance did it. I still carry mine with me. It's a good tradition and a great way to get free beer from juinor Ordies.. ;)

cajunguy
04-06-03, 12:49 AM
Thanks Marines,

Appreciate the replies.

MillRat - never such a thing as "too much" info. You got my brain housing group back in gear and thinking. With the links you gave me, that got me going in the right direction. (Or as the Ol' Gunny (R. Lee Ermey) would say, "Now that motivates me!")

Again thanks to all.

Hope y'all have a great weekend. (What's left of it anyway.) :D

Again, Semper Fi. :marine: