View Full Version : Memories of WWII: Black Marine paved the way for others

thedrifter
11-10-07, 07:41 AM
Article published Nov 10, 2007
Memories of WWII: Black Marine paved the way for others
By MILES JACKSON
Staff Writer
mjackson@thedailyjournal.com

VINELAND -- Ed Brady was a 19-year-old pre-med student at the University of Illinois when he got his draft notice, not unusual for a young man during the early years of World War II.

But instead of having his education put to use, Brady was put to work in the Marine Corps as a stevedore. His main job: "humping boxes off of boats," as Brady called it.

Brady is black and in 1942, blacks were put to work in the most menial jobs regardless of their qualifications.

He continued the duty until Sept 15, 1944, when the First Marine Division landed in Peleliu, a coral atoll in the western Pacific. His life was forever changed.

Japanese defenders blasted the Marines who were unable to dig into the hard coral ground of the island. The Marines suffered casualty rates of 68 percent, and suddenly, black Marines did more than "humping boxes."

"Everybody fought or carried wounded off the beach," Brady said. "After a while, some of the younger white Marines saw that we were bleeding the same color blood."

After the war, Brady stayed in the Marines and fought in Korea. In 1954, he became a Marine pilot, a rare accomplishment for a black man in those days.

He served three tours in Vietnam and retired as a captain in 1971.

Despite the hardships and treatment black Marines suffered during World War II, Brady said, "I don't dwell on what was."

His reward came during his last tour in Vietnam, when he was in the officers club talking with a younger Marine pilot who eventually became a two-star general.

"He asked me if I ever thought I'd get this far in the Marines," Brady said. "I said, 'Hell, I never thought I'd be in the Marines this long.'"

But that younger marine, well on his way to the top, told Brady something he said has given him great joy throughout the years.

"He said 'If it weren't for you guys, we'd have never made it this far. You made it possible for us,'" Brady said of the younger man's praise.

"And that's a mighty good feeling," Brady added.

Ellie