PDA

View Full Version : Mom relies on faith as she worries about her two soldier sons

thedrifter
11-10-07, 06:26 AM
Mom relies on faith as she worries about her two soldier sons

Greg Schreier
November 10, 2007

JOHNSTOWN -- You couldn't fault the mother of two Marines for needing a stiff drink to unwind, for needing a few Tylenol P.M.'s to fall asleep at night.

Especially when one of those young men -- one of your boys -- is finishing up a tour in Iraq. And especially when the other, still only 18 years old, just finished up boot camp and has an uncertain future ahead. But when Linda Francis talks about her boys and how she deals with those sleepless nights, she doesn't rely on Tylenol or a drink.

She knows she has the help of God. She knows her faith will guide her throughout any trial or tribulation. When she speaks of the future, she speaks with the same uncertainty anyone has. But when she talks about God -- and her faith that He will protect Billy Aynes, 20, and Chris Aynes, 18 -- her voice is rock-solid.

"I do still have my sleepless nights. But I know I get through it better and easier with my faith than without it," Francis said. "I have every confidence that God is bringing (Billy) home whole and complete."

And if Billy didn't come home, she still affirms her trust that her faith will guide her through it. But she doesn't think about that. She knows all the worrying in the world won't help. She speaks of a firm belief that everyone has a purpose in life. For Billy, who is considering re-enlistment, it may be a career as a soldier. She just prays that God will show him what that purpose is.

"All the breakdowns and nervousness in the world is not going to change any of that," Francis said. "If that's not what he's supposed to do, then show him that."

Still, those sleepless nights were eased when she was able to put her arms around both of her sons when Chris graduated from boot camp recently in Camp Pendleton, Calif. Billy made the long journey from Iraq to see his brother graduate; Chris was beet-red because of a reaction to medication. But she saw them. Held them. Hugged them. And they all had a chance to wrestle around and roughhouse again for a while at their Johnstown home.

"They have always been best friends," Francis said of the boys born a bit more than two years apart. And she can't help but laugh when she talks about the fun they have messing around. "But Billy can still beat (Chris) anytime. But I can still beat up on Billy, so what does that say?"

Billy is a newly promoted corporal now, working in a civil affairs unit in Iraq. For now, Chris plans to train in motor vehicle operations, learning how to drive Humvees. But he ultimately hopes to be an air traffic controller, even if it means an extra year of service.

Francis is proud of Cpl. Aynes and Pfc. Aynes. But to her, they're still just Billy and Chris. She still sends Billy chocolate and Pringles chips, even though the chocolate's melted and the Pringles are destroyed by the time they arrive in Iraq.

"But you pour 'em in your mouth, and they're still Pringles!" Billy tells his mom.

Chris still loves the same special dip concoction he always has -- it was his first meal back from boot camp. He's spending his last days on leave helping at the Marine recruiting office in Greeley.

And when they're both on duty again -- known to the world as Cpl. Aynes and Pfc. Aynes -- Linda Francis will still have her faith to ease her worry.

"Any prayer I can get for those boys ... that's all the better they're off," Francis said. "(God) takes care of those that are His."

Ellie