PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Marines

Bruce59
11-08-07, 12:23 PM
A poem I wrote some years ago and how it came to be. Years ago my wife and I were at the Wall in D.C. and walked from there to Arlington Cemetery, we stopped by Kennedy's grave and then took a path alongside the grave which took us through a small path of woods and we came out of the cemetery way down from the Iwo Jima Memorial, which we then walked to. I've been back to the Iwo Memorial a few times since, but now there a fence and I don't think I could walk it anymore. A year later I wrote this poem, in many ways it is my thank you to the Marine Corps and to all Marines that served. Remembering that walk I took with my wife, and a over active imagination came The Legend of Arlington Ridge. Happy Birthday Marines.

Bruce

http://www.geocities.com/arlingtonridge/arle1.html?200711

http://wallofhonor.bravehost.com

thedrifter
11-08-07, 12:42 PM
Outstanding!:thumbup:

Happy Birthday to All You Marines!

Ellie

davblay
11-08-07, 01:52 PM
Ya know....to be 232 years old we aint doing to bad, are we?

Happy Birthday Marine Corps! :marine:

jetdawgg
11-08-07, 02:34 PM
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/i03000/i03383.jpg

Scottyva
11-08-07, 02:47 PM
Ya know....to be 232 years old we aint doing to bad, are we?

Happy Birthday Marine Corps! :marine:

There are several People that have found out the Hard Way about the Corps!:evilgrin::usmc:

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday Marines

jetdawgg
11-08-07, 03:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GG3W_N14yc:usmc:

Rich71
11-08-07, 03:11 PM
Happy 232nd Birthday!!! I wish I could be a Tuns Tavern on the 10th!

RON 68
11-09-07, 03:28 PM
Semper-Fi................to all who served before, and those who are now!

never in the course of human history, has there ever been a better group.

RON-68

crate78
11-09-07, 09:10 PM
Happy Birthday, Marines!! <br />
<br />
It might be appropriate to recycle the following: <br />
<br />
************************** <br />
<br />
A Prayer given by a Chaplain recently at <br />
a Marine Corps Birthday Ball: <br />
<br />
&quot;My friends,...

sparkie
11-09-07, 09:23 PM
I thank you, Crate, and I thank you Dawgg, old Son. I am at a loss,,,,,,,,,,

alexb8654
11-09-07, 11:45 PM
Happy Birthday Marines! :beer:

davblay
11-10-07, 12:11 AM
Ooo-Rah, my brothers and sisters! :beer:

jinelson
11-10-07, 01:29 AM
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/mikenlori/usmc-1.jpg

Happy Birthday Marines!

OORAH!!!

Jim

SkilletsUSMC
11-10-07, 02:55 AM
Semper Fi Marines!

thedrifter
11-10-07, 05:42 AM
Happy Birthday Marines!
Source: sandgram.blogspot.com/

Hey Guys,

November tenth is the birthday of our beloved Corps. So far I have attended a ball, (minus the wife but able to take my Dad and Uncle-both Navy) and some other smaller celebrations that included hearing a speech by former CMC Hagee and a few beers hoisted up over a nice cigar with a few buddies named "Chuck the Asst. D.A.," "Fred the Fed," "Steve the Cop," "Perry the Diver" and "Simon the Retired." All have ties with the Corps and it was an awesome time as we told lies and sat in our overstuffed leather chairs smoking a ten-dollar cigar. They always say that if you have two Marines together, they will celebrate the birth of their Corps with as much gusto as former President Clinton when he found he had a new intern (or that his wife was taking a trip to NYC for the weekend). Either way, we have a good time.

It's a hard date to forget after so many balls and pageants over the years. Funny though, the true litmus test for a person claiming to be a Marine is to ask them what is the actual day of the Marine Corps Birthday. We were having lunch for the second time at a new local Italian place in Fort Worth, and had the same waitress, a young gal named Lynn who claimed that she, too, was a Marine. The first time I talked to her, I didn't press the issue since we were about to leave. The next time was last Sunday, after the ball. She proudly stated again that she was a Marine who got out after three years when she heard us talking about the Military. My Uncle, 6' 5" and a former RIO in the F-14, asks across the table, "Hey when is the Marine Corps Birthday?" she just shrugged her shoulders and said, "I don't remember that little stuff." Now I was pretty sure that this semi-cute young thing was lying through her teeth. Not sure if she thought it would bring a better tip, I asked her, "Where did you go to boot camp?" She beamed and said, "Pendleton, of course."

I didn't want to bust her in front of my in-laws and family (plus we didn't have our food yet) so I waited until I was driving home from one of the cake-cutting ceremonies in my Dress Blues and decided to stop by the restaurant. I flagged her down and asked her to come over. "Lynn, while I appreciate you wanting to be a Marine, if you are going to lie about it, first Google the Corps and find out the date of it's inception, because EVERY Marine knows that. Second, women only attend Boot Camp in Paris Island." You could see the shame in her eyes, and she started to explain something, but I just said goodbye and turned around to leave.

Now this Saturday, November tenth will be a different story. I am flying to San Antonio with a good buddy named Paulie, in our Government-issued KC 130T. Our mission is to pick up six young Marines who were wounded in Iraq, and fly them to a football game up here in North Texas. Ross Perot and his son are helping organize this through the Wounded Warrior group. They are going to watch the University of North Texas play the Naval Academy. I think it's an awesome thing, and it's one of those flights that I can't wait to make happen. I can bet you a million dollars, that these heroes know the meaning of the tenth of November!
To all of you Marines out there, I wish you a very Happy Birthday, for you are looking good for being 232 years…

Semper Fi,
Taco

Butskie51
11-10-07, 07:37 AM
OOHRAAH, OOHRAAH AND OOHRAAH 232 times!
Happy to all and their families,
forever.

thedrifter
11-10-07, 07:39 AM
Celebrating the Marines

by News Channel 8's Jammie Muro
Posted Nov. 9, 2007
Updated 11:03 PM

Southington (WTNH) _ For more than a decade, Marines across Connecticut have come together to celebrate the Corp and tonight that tradition continues at what some call the largest Marine Ball in the United States.

A high ranking Pentagon official calls the gathering the, "Biggest Marine Ball on the planet."

Just a decade ago, the ball started out as a small party in Meriden with about 20 people has now swelled to 800 people. The gala celebrates the Marine's birthday, 232-years old, as well as Veteran's Day and honors current Marines serving.

Marines as far away as California and Texas attend the event, swapping stories and creating bonds with complete strangers.

"There's no way we can explain what that bond is, how the feeling is, it's just an incredible feeling. So when you are sitting down across the table from any Marine, there's already a kinship and a bond there. All we need to do is find out his name," said 1st Sgt. Ron Perry.

The Marines Ball is being held at the Aqua Turf Club in Southington. The Paz family of Bethany just wishes Lance Cpl. Daniel Paz was there to enjoy the ball, but instead, he's in Iraq.

"We don't know how he's doing, but he loves it," said Carol Andrews, Daniel's Grandmother.

"He's tired, long days, doesn't tell us a lot, can't wait to talk to him," said Daniel's mother, Debby.

Thanks to both a satellite uplink and an Internet connection they got to talk to him tonight. Once Lance Cpl. Paz made his big screen debut, emotions flowed.

Lance Cpl. Paz would love to be celebrating in Southington with his fellow marines and would love to hug his family. Instead, he's got a job to do, but for a fleeting moment, a long distance reunion provided some solace until the marine comes home.

Ellie

1jarhead06
11-10-07, 08:09 AM
Happy Birthday Marines ! Semper Fi!

Phantom Winger
11-10-07, 08:20 AM
Sir, the Marine Corps is
232 years of walking, talking
hell, death and destruction

The most belligerant and aggressive fighting force
the world has ever known

gung ho! gung ho! gung ho!
kill! kill! kill!

OOH RAH!

~ Senior Drill Instructor SSGT Krause, Plt 2042

Happy birthday Devil Dogs young and old! Here's to 232 years of tradition unhampered by progress!!

The wonderful love of a beautiful maid,
The love of a staunch true man,
The love of a baby, unafraid,
Have existed since time began.

But the greatest of loves, The quintessence of loves.
even greater than that of a mother,
Is the tender, passionate, infinite love,
of one drunken Marine for another.
"Semper Fidelis"

General Louis H. Wilson
Commandant of the Marine Corps
Toast given at 203rd Marine Corps Birthday Ball
Camp Lejueune, N.C. 1978

mike christy
11-10-07, 08:22 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES

SEMPER FI

Big Jim
11-10-07, 08:35 AM
happy Birthday Marines!!!!!!!!!! And Many More To Come.....many More!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOGIEMAN44
11-10-07, 09:00 AM
I AM SOOO GLAD TO BE A MARINE, WITH ALL THE RICH HISTORY, ALL THE GOOD TIMES, ALL THE BAD TIMES, I STILL WALK HEAD HIGH, ANYONE CAN SAY, I "WAS" IN THE ARMY... NOT EVERYONE CAN SAY, I AM A UNITED STATES MARINE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU THAT WENT BEFORE ME... THANK YOU TO ALL THAT WENT WITH ME, AND BEFORE I GO MISTY EYE... THANK YOU TO ALL THAT WENT AFTER ME... YOU ARE THE NEXT GENERATION OF MARINES THAT KEEPS THE HONOR AND PRIDE OF THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS. SEMPER FI, MARK :usmc:

Dannycanterberr
11-10-07, 09:09 AM
:flag: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JARHEADS!!! LONG LIVE THE CORP!!! GOD BLESS THE MEN AND WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD IN HARMS WAY. MAY WE ALL STAND BEHIND OUR BROTHERS WHO ARE BEING PROSECUTED FOR DOIN THEIR JOBS, SEMPER FI!!!

gutinstinct
11-10-07, 09:15 AM
happy Birthday Devildogs !!!!!!

chili77bowl
11-10-07, 09:21 AM
Check this out... I am TAD to Camp Pendleton and will not be going to the ball this year, My family is still in Okinawa. My 4 year old son, without me teaching this, knows that the Marines raise the American flag, and that today is our Birthday. When he asked if he could go to the Birthday Party as he calls it, and was told no..HE CRIED! and then made my wife buy a Camo birthday cake and he then proceeded to sing Happy Birthday Marines!

He told every Marine he saw in Okinawa Happy Birthday.

I can tell you this, I have never been so proud in all my life of my Son, my Country, and my Corps! OOOOH RAH! Semper Fi! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL!!!!

outlaw3179
11-10-07, 09:28 AM
Happy Birthday Marines!

BOOGIEMAN44
11-10-07, 09:29 AM
Check this out... I am TAD to Camp Pendleton and will not be going to the ball this year, My family is still in Okinawa. My 4 year old son, without me teaching this, knows that the Marines raise the American flag, and that today is our Birthday. When he asked if he could go to the Birthday Party as he calls it, and was told no..HE CRIED! and then made my wife buy a Camo birthday cake and he then proceeded to sing Happy Birthday Marines!

He told every Marine he saw in Okinawa Happy Birthday.

I can tell you this, I have never been so proud in all my life of my Son, my Country, and my Corps! OOOOH RAH! Semper Fi! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL!!!!

THAT IS ONE SPECIAL YOUNG MAN THERE MARINE, A JOB WELL DONE !!! SEMPER FI. :usmc:

sparkie
11-10-07, 09:42 AM
My son wished me a happy birthday. He's a 17 yr old wannabe. I am so proud our tradition lives on, and on. One day I may call my son my brother, as I do all of you. Our country is worth the battle, and the Marine Corps is worthy of our love. Always Faithful, Always Proud. See you in forever, Marines.

Buckeye
11-10-07, 09:58 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES!!!! Oooo Rah!!!!

grampsdw251
11-10-07, 10:04 AM
Thanks for sharing, Marines. It seems that in 232 years there are quite a few proud parents and families in the world, 'cause the REAL PRIDE was mustered in The United States Marine Corps. Happy Birthday. Semper Fi!!!!!!!!

CrymBuster
11-10-07, 10:06 AM
Semper Fi Ellie.... old Marines never die... they just fall back and regroup!

jetdawgg
11-10-07, 10:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66PydtsdwN8

RLeon
11-10-07, 12:07 PM
Happy Birthday brothers and sisters....Semper Fidelis.

yellowwing
11-10-07, 12:19 PM
Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
November 10th 1775

Captains Nicholas and Mullens, having been tasked by the 2nd Continental Congress to form 2 battalions of Marines, set up the Corps’ first recruiting station in the tavern.

The first likely prospect was, in typical recruiters fashion, promised a "life of high adventure in service to Country and Corps". And, as an extra bonus: If he enlisted now he would receive a free tankard of ale...

The recruit gladly accepted the challenge and, receiving the free tankard of ale, was told to wait at the corner table for orders.

The first Marine sat quietly at the table sipping the ale when he was joined by another young man, who had two tankards of ale.

The first Marine looked at the lad and asked where he had gotten the two tankards of ale?

The lad replied that he had just joined this new outfit called the Continental Marines, and as an enlistment bonus was given two tankards of ale.

The first Marine took a long hard look at the second Marine and said, "It wasn’t like that in the old Corps!"

Happy Birthday Marines, 232 years and we ain't never quit yet! :usmc:

RLE0352
11-10-07, 12:55 PM
Happy Birthday Brothers and Sisters!

FistFu68
11-10-07, 12:55 PM
:usmc: SAEPIUS EXERTUS~SEMPER FIDELIS~FRATER INFINITAS :usmc: :iwo:

DezCorps
11-10-07, 01:14 PM
Happy Birthday Marines

Semper Fi

sgt8089
11-10-07, 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Marines !!!!

greensideout
11-10-07, 01:57 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES!

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/holiday/usmc2007/playmovie.asp?isc=gdm1113

rb1651
11-10-07, 01:58 PM
Happy Birthday, Marines!!!!

lurchenstein
11-10-07, 07:48 PM
There are none finer!
Happy Birthday to all Marines at Leatherneck & Marines serving around the Globe.:marine: :flag:

knightlaird
11-10-07, 08:38 PM
I have very fond memories of the Marine Corps Birthday Balls. I hope that everyone is having an outstanding day!:flag:

GunsUp
11-10-07, 09:00 PM
Well... Since I've been lurking around this site all day (choosing to spend it with Marines instead of working... I know, I'm bad but I'm on the downside of a 3 week hitch). I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to All Marines no matter where you're at.

To our brothers and sisters in the Middle East, I say keep up the good fight, we got your backs here at home.

To all Marines still serving, a heartful thanks for carrying on the legacy of our Corps.

To those that have served, thanks for providing us with a legacy that we all can be proud of.

Semper Fidelis

Miller

semperfiman
11-11-07, 12:38 AM
Happy Birthday Marines Semper Fi!!!!

erased
11-11-07, 01:23 AM
Well, I'm at least a half-hour late at this point, but what the hell.

Happy (belated) birthday Marines, and happy Veterans' Day.

jetdawgg
11-28-07, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeaF5JO9LvQ