PDA

View Full Version : Schuller goes from war in Iraq to CSU wrestling

thedrifter
11-07-07, 09:40 AM
11/07/2007
Schuller goes from war in Iraq to CSU wrestling
STEVE WALKER , Morning Journal Correspondent

ALL hell broke loose. Monroeville's Jeff Schuller, a sergeant in the Marine Corp., was driving one of three Humvees in Iraq when a white van tore out of an alley and blew up between two of the Humvees, and then another explosion came out of nowhere.
Three QRF Marines, two sergeants, a Navy corpsman and a lance corporal were killed instantly. More than half of the QRF were killed or injured.

''I was sure I was gonna die,'' Schuller said. ''There was no way I thought I'd make it.''

Schuller, who was driving, was one of five Marines in the vehicle that wasn't killed or badly injured. Two were killed, two were badly injured and Schuller says he was blessed to survive.

''I was really convinced I wasn't going to make it,'' added Schuller. ''I figured at that time -- there had to be some type of plan for me É I am blessed to be alive.''

After that attack, Schuller had to fight for his life. Under intense enemy fire, he gunned down insurgents that were shooting from the windows, doorways and a roof of a nearby hospital and alleys. He had to swing a machine gun back and forth between targets for nearly 40 minutes, using all of his ammo -- short of launching a rocket.

Schuller was given the Silver Star award, the third-highest honor in the military, for his duty and what he went through. He's also one of the five out of 22 members of his platoon that aren't dead or have been injured.

And at 27 and junior eligible collegiately, he wants to return to what he loves most -- wrestling.

''Wrestling is a sport like no other,'' Schuller said. ''When you're in Iraq, you have time to think about a lot of things. You think about everything you've been through. The toughest part was losing friends and guys that become your brothers.''

After 103 career wins in high school, Schuller had went straight to the service for almost four years, and then decided to return and went to Bowling Green, while still being enlisted in the military reserves.

He then transferred to CSU, but after one semester, he got the mandatory call to head to California to train for that dreadful seven-month stay in Iraq.

Now that he's back at CSU, he has a new perspective on life and mostly everything. He made the wrestling team and will wrestle heavyweight for the Vikings.

''No matter what, I have always applied that wrestling mentality,'' Schuller added. ''I attribute my success and owe it all to wrestling and my wrestling coaches.''

He credits his former high school coach Ed Hale for a lot of his determination and push and his current coach Jack Effner for his patience and chance.

''When everyone said I couldn't do it, Hale told me I could,'' Schuller added. ''When everyone said I couldn't do it academically, Hale told me I could. I attribute so much of my success to Hale for what he instilled in me.''

That's why at 27 years old and out of wrestling several years, his fight is stronger than it's ever been.

''He is an exception of the rule,'' said Effner, who is in his 10th season at CSU, after two years at Clemson and 10 years at West Point. ''It's very admirable and meaningful what he's done. It takes trump over what we're doing. He's a real good Marine and has done some neat things and has had good experiences. I believe it has made him the man he is today. He's got a lot going for him.''

Schuller will take his first action this weekend on the mat at the Michigan State Invitational. He was unable to participate during last weekend's season opening matches because of military duties.

Other local ties at CSU

Assistant coach Anthony Coleman, who was a state champion in 1999 for Bellevue and a two-time NCAA qualifier, has been a key to the recruiting class. Coleman have helped recruit six wrestlers from the area that have big upsides, including Schuller.

Rob Michaels (Clyde) is the starting 157-pounder in his freshman year and went 5-2 this past weekend at the Eastern Michigan Invitational. He was a match away from placing. He was red-shirted last season and was a state-runner up for Clyde in the 2005.

Eric Schwartz (Clyde) transferred over from Ohio State, where he played football and was on the Buckeyes' Big Ten championship team last season. He wanted to wrestle again and came over to CSU, and will also wrestle at heavyweight.

His brother Thomas Schwartz (Clyde) is a true freshman, but will be red-shirted this season. Allowed to compete in open competition, he won his first three matches collegiately in the Eastern Michigan Invitational at 157.

Lawrence Cavello (Willard) will also be red-shirted this season, but he had a successful debut this past weekend in the open, going 3-2 in the 141 pound division.

Alex Hughes (Bellevue/Seneca East) is also a freshman and state runner-up in high school at Seneca East. He wrestles at 184.

Campus visits

- Lance Palmer (Columbia Station/St. Edward), who wrestles at Ohio State, had an impressive debut last weekend. He scored 18 points in a technical fall win over Nate Spencer. OSU won the match, 36-6, over Notre Dame College. Palmer is one of only two Lorain County wrestlers to win four Ohio state high school championships.

- Freshman outside hitter Kim Sage (Bellevue) was named the North Coast Athletic Conference Newcomer of the Year for Hiram's volleyball team. She finished second on the team in kills (295), kills per game (2.95) and was third in digs per game (2.5) and points per game (3.2).

If you have newsworthy items or tips on local athletes for this notebook, please feel free to e-mail Steve Walker at the address below:

sports@morningjournal.com

Ellie