PDA

View Full Version : A ‘class’ operation

thedrifter
11-06-07, 07:48 AM
TUESDAY NOVEMBER 6, 2007

Last modified: Monday, November 5, 2007 10:02 AM CST

A ‘class’ operation - Seventh in a series of “letters home” from a local Marine deployed for a second tour in Iraq

By Staff Sgt. Isaac Weix, USMC

This week, we spent the entire time in the field.

The first three days, we had classes on skills that are more specific to Iraq. Those of us who have been there were tasked with giving the classes.

Throughout this entire training evolution, there has been a strong emphasis on applying lessons learned and mentoring by veterans. Most of the training that we received is taught by me or other veterans. I enjoy teaching, but I would like to participate more with my Marines.

We started out with classes on urban patrolling, how to cordon off target buildings, counter-sniper operations, how to clear buildings, and the implementation of military working dogs. We had dogs the last time we were there for explosive detection, but now dogs are being trained for other tasks that help the patrols complete their mission.

The first training block was focused on foot mobile operations; the second block was focused on vehicle-mounted operations. I taught a class on the conduct of a motorized patrol.

There were also classes on what to do if you encounter an IED (improvised explosive device) while in a vehicle, exploded or otherwise.

Here is something that I have never seen reported: The enemy has to plant in the neighborhood of 50 IEDs to inflict one coalition casualty. We are extremely effective at countering this threat.

The last two days, the battalion conducted an exercise where we simulated removing insurgents from a town and returning it to Iraqi control.

This was extremely realistic training. The Marine Corps hires Arabic-speaking people to role-play everyone from the sheik to the Iraqi policeman to the insurgent. We are required to use our Arabic language skills to conduct a successful exercise.

On Friday night, our mission complete, we headed back to the barracks. Saturday morning, it was more shots and more new gear issued. On Sunday, we had the day off, just enough time to wash our uniforms and start all over Monday.

Weix, an Elmwood native, serves with the 24th Marine Regiment out of Madison as a platoon sergeant for Weapons Platoon, “G” Company, 2nd Battalion.

Ellie