PDA

View Full Version : Tracy records 4:47 in Marine Corps Marathon

thedrifter
11-06-07, 07:14 AM
Tracy records 4:47 in Marine Corps Marathon
Monday, November 5, 2007
By John I. Carney

State Sen. Jim Tracy recorded a time of 4:47 in the Marine Corps Marathon Oct. 28 in Washington.

"I definitely wanted to go under five [hours], and I did that," Tracy said this morning. This was the third marathon for the 51-year-old insurance agent from Shelbyville, but his first time to compete in the Marine Corps Marathon.

Both of his first two marathons were run in 4:29, but Tracy had said in advance that the Washington course would be more challenging.

"That last hill's a killer." The scenic course begins and ends in Virginia but includes the Washington Mall and various scenic landmarks including the Vietnam and World War II memorials. The finish line is in front of the Marine Corps Memorial, which is the sculpture depicting the well-known photograph of Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima.

"It was very enjoyable, sort of inspirational really, with all the Marines," said Tracy. There were Marines competing in the race and other Marines working in support roles such as manning water stations.

"The Marines worked the whole race."

All of the armed services had participants, and Tracy said there was some obvious friendly competition between the various Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine participants.

"It was sort of interesting to watch them," he said.

Tracy met and spoke with members of various armed services and ended up walking back to his hotel with three Marines.

According to its web site, www.marinemarathon.com, the race was started by Col. Jim Fowler at the end of the Vietnam War, during a period of time when the military's public image was at an all-time low. It was intended to build good will, and would also allow Marines in the Washington area to run a qualifying race so that they could enter the Boston Marathon. Fowler's proposal was approved by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and the first race was held in November 1976.

Tracy, who is a Nationwide Insurance agent when he's not at the State Capitol, has also been an NCAA basketball referee.

Ellie