PDA

View Full Version : Today, I took the physical for the Lousyana National Guard.

3077India
11-04-07, 11:58 PM
Today, I took the physical for the Lousyana National Guard. My recruiter told me it would only take an hour;:sick: :D I thought to myself, yeah right, when I went to MEPS in New Orleans I was lucky I finished my Physical in 3 hours.

At any rate, I made it through, although my blood pressure was elevated due to my nervousness. They had me laydown and nearly sleeping while they took more blood pressure readings to obtain a normal reading - it worked, because they signed off on my physical. Now all I have to do is wait for the blood tests to come back, then fight with my recruiter about my Enlistment/OCS Option.

Why the National Guard, you ask? Well, I'm 38 and too old to go back to the Marines. Sure I feel like I'm settling for a pinto, when I really want a Ferrari, but it is what it is; besides it will help me to obtain my objective while satisfying a desire to serve my country.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-05-07, 12:10 AM
Ha! India, you and I are on the same track! I just re-enlisted, into the WV Air Guard!

For pretty much the same reasons...I'm too dang old to be out there running 3 miles and all that, with these young studs of today!

I tell you what, I had the same MEPS issues when I tried to enlist into the Maryland Air Guard....so I did the WV AG instead, they do all their physicals 'on site' and I actually PASSED a flight physical! As old as I am, I passed the thing, but got nailed for hearing loss. (Gee..how did THAT happen? You mean all those years around F-4's and guns and explosions DOESN'T affect your hearing????)

Anyway, 'welcome back' for sure!

3077India
11-05-07, 12:19 AM
Thanks Sergeant. Now I have to remember that the Head is a Latrine and the Army has Drill Sergeants not Drill Instructors. :p

Sgt Leprechaun
11-05-07, 12:38 AM
Oh, tell me about it. I was told to 'report' in at "1 o'clock" for check in today (to get paid). One of the other (brand new, no prior service) kids didn't hear the recruiter, so I said, "Muster at 1300 at room....."

The recruiter looked at the kid, then at me, and said "Yeah, 1 oclock or 1300 if you want to be 'military', just go see them and say you are here, then you can leave for the day....this is the Air Guard...."

I met a full bird Colonel who walked into my office space, I stood up (no uniform yet, next drill) greeted him, "How is the Colonel today?" He looked around until he figured out it was HIM I was talking to!!

Hooooboy. The Air Force is sure a different world than I'm used to!

Zulu 36
11-05-07, 06:40 AM
Sorry, Sgt Lep, but the Air Guard is different still from the active duty Air Farce.

Once you do your tech school, and/or an annual training gig working with a regular AF unit, you'll notice the difference.

The AF is fairly laid back as military services go, but the Air Guard is more so. You'll learn that the average Air Guard unit is generally much better at their job than a comparable active AF unit. Troops generally require less supervision in the Guard, mainly because of job experience and higher average age. Strict military formality just isn't necessary.

Also with part-time Guardsmen, there is a very broad range of skill sets available to bring to the table in a combat zone. A jet engine mechanic in the Guard may be a heavy equipment operator in civilian life, or a truck mechanic. My old Guard unit had all sorts of skilled tradesmen, mechanics, paramedics, cops (lots of cops), equipment operators, ex-Army combat engineers, former Marines, etc. It made for quite an eclectic Security Forces unit and we could do a lot of stuff for ourselves - and did in Desert Storm.

Another factor, and this applies to other reserve elements too, is that Air Guard units tend to have lower turnover of people, mostly because folks don't get transferred out every two or three years. I served 14-years in the Michigan Air Guard and worked out of the same building and with many of the exact same people for the whole time. I only served under two commanding officers and the first one retired after I was in about ten years. You really get to know one another quite well.

You'll find the active AF tends to be a bit more formal, and most active AF colonels are VERY aware of their rank and prerogatives.

jetdoc
11-05-07, 06:25 PM
Jason, did you not try the DC Air Guard? Remember they are at Andrews AFB.

The WV Air Guard is a fine place to be regardless, good luck bro.

Ha! India, you and I are on the same track! I just re-enlisted, into the WV Air Guard!

For pretty much the same reasons...I'm too dang old to be out there running 3 miles and all that, with these young studs of today!

I tell you what, I had the same MEPS issues when I tried to enlist into the Maryland Air Guard....so I did the WV AG instead, they do all their physicals 'on site' and I actually PASSED a flight physical! As old as I am, I passed the thing, but got nailed for hearing loss. (Gee..how did THAT happen? You mean all those years around F-4's and guns and explosions DOESN'T affect your hearing????)

Anyway, 'welcome back' for sure!

3077India
11-05-07, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the thread hijacking fellas. :p I believe you can offer the Sgt congratulations here (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56511). ;) :D

SlingerDun
11-05-07, 06:33 PM
Good luck men, and DMSO is cheap and works well for sore body parts.

--->Davehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Sgt Leprechaun
11-07-07, 10:32 AM
Hahahahahhaa

Thanks to all...

And, the DC Guard was too far to drive...I'll do anything I can do to avoid the freakin beltway at ANY time of the day or night...thus, the WVANG was a better deal.

Thanks Zulu, that makes perfect sense.

jetdawgg
11-07-07, 11:27 AM
3077 congrats and good luck:usmc:

LeonardLawrence
11-07-07, 04:22 PM
lol....interservice thread fighting.

Congrats and good luck to both....:beer:

yellowwing
11-11-07, 01:14 PM
GO Lousyana National Guard!

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/nationalguard.gif

outlaw3179
11-11-07, 02:05 PM
India Im in the National Guard now on Active duty as a recruiter. Remember This......Your still a Marine. Your just on a top secret mission , sent from Headquarters Marine Corps., sent to there , to unf*ck that place!

3077India
11-11-07, 02:50 PM
India Im in the National Guard now on Active duty as a recruiter. Remember This......Your still a Marine. Your just on a top secret mission , sent from Headquarters Marine Corps., sent to there , to unf*ck that place!:D lol I'll keep that in mind.