PDA

View Full Version : Terre Haute Marine Receives Bronze Star

thedrifter
11-04-07, 07:18 AM
Terre Haute Marine Receives Bronze Star
WTHI, IN
By Jenna Emenhiser

A group of Marines in Terre Haute lined up at attention for a special ceremony on Saturday.

The reason, one of their "Brother's in Arms," Sergeant Andre Valdez was awarded the bronze star, one of the highest medals a soldier can receive in combat.

"It was one of the most important things in my life. It's definitely a big honor," Valdez told News 10.

Valdez spent two tours in Iraq, the second as an adviser to an Iraqi special-forces unit.

The unit he trained was considered one of the best among iraqi forces.

Valdez says he's honored to receive such an award, but at the same time it's somewhat bittersweet.

A sign at the Marine Reserve Center lists the names of Marines from the unit, killed or wounded in action. Valdez says these men make receiving his award a humbling experience."

"Those are the guys who really deserve all the credit because they've given everything they have to the mission and what they believe is right," Valdez said.

With a new medal pinned on his chest, friends and family congratulate Valdez.

"Once I realized how much he loved being a marine and how proud he was and what kind of job he did as a marine. It's really been a very important part of his life," said Valdez's mother, Patty Meek.

"He's an outstanding individual, a great American. He's just a great man, I'm really proud of him," said Don Valdez, his father.

Now, as Valdez walks away with honors, he remembers those who continue to soldier on.

Andre Valdez is the second marine based out of Terre Haute to receive the bronze star for service in the war in Iraq.

Ellie