PDA

View Full Version : Harboring heroes

thedrifter
11-04-07, 05:44 AM
Harboring heroes

By SEAN GARMIRE
Staff writer

COEUR d'ALENE -- Members of the Pappy Boyington detachment of the Marine Corps League and the Young Marines of North Idaho woke early Saturday to lift the flagpoles along the Coeur d'Alene Memorial Gardens Cemetery roadsides.

Dozens of volunteers knelt among the gravestones, planting the colorful flags; it was a somber parade.

The flag raising was part of a series of events that will take place over the week in conjunction with Veteran's Day, Nov. 11.

Among other events hosted by the Kootenai County Veterans' Council this week will be programs at area elementary schools, veteran visits to retirement homes and a Veteran's Day parade on Government Way on Nov. 10.

Mike McFall, an officer in the Pappy Boyington unit, looked across the cemetery grass, speckled with the distinctive red jackets of their unit.

"All these veterans are people who believe in this country. Everything we have in this country is here because we have a military that has protected the interests of our country," he said.

Volunteer work is at the core of the detachment's mission. The group volunteers one week every month, on average, to help with community events, McFall said.

In the past year the group has participated in Toys for Tots, mailed out "Iraq Packs" to deployed soldiers and gathered helmet armor that improves survival rates among solders from roadside bombs. The group has also pushed for a veterans cemetery to be located in North Idaho. The nearest veterans cemetery in Idaho is in Boise, Bob Rorscheib, the Pappy Boyinton unit commandant said.

When Rorscheib was asked what the North Idaho community has done to support veterans, Rector responded, "I've never really thought of it that way before, because I keep thinking the other direction. I keep thinking what can we give to the community? What can we do?"

There is a general feeling of support for veterans in the community, said unit member Ralph Miller.

"People walk up to me continually and thank me for my service," he said.

Younger volunteers were in service at the cemetery as well.

About 18 young marines volunteered at the event. The program, a national education and volunteer service organization for boys and girls from ages 8 through completion of high school, encourages members to participate in and volunteer for community events.

"We do this every year for our veterans," Pat Rector, commanding officer for the North Idaho platoon of Young Marines, said, "that's what we're all about."

"It's important to raise the new generation to respect our country, our community and our flag," she said.

Veterans Day functions will take place throughout the week, and will conclude Nov. 11. All are sponsored by the Kootenai County Veterans' Council.

• Nov. 7 at 2 p.m.: Veterans and their families are invited to Fernan Elementary School Veteran's Day program

• Nov. 8 at 9:15 a.m.: Everyone is invited to Dalton Gardens Elementary School for a Veteran's Day program.

• Nov. 8 at 10 a.m.: Veteran's Day program at Atlas Elementary School. All are invited.

• Nov. 8 at 2 p.m.: All are invited to Veteran's Day program held at Hayden Meadows Elementary.

• Nov. 10 at 10:30 a.m.: All veterans are invited to form at Miles and Government Way to prepare for the city of Hayden's Veteran's Day parade.

• Nov. 10 at p.m.: All veterans invited to Elmer's Restaurant. Bring photos of military service.

Parade information: Wayde Syth (20 818-1562

Ellie