PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Medical Battalion showcases life-saving capabilities to the medical officer of th

thedrifter
11-03-07, 07:22 AM
It’s a scary scenario, a seven-ton truck rolling multiple times after being hit by the blast of an improvised explosive device. What can be even scarier is the question of whether the Marines and Sailors involved will live to tell about it.

These questions will not be asked for long, as those involved will soon realize they have a small group of dedicated Marines and Sailors who watch over them and ensure they live to see another day-- the Marines and Sailors of 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group.

Navy Capt. William Roberts, the medical officer of the Marine Corps, watched this scenario take place in full force during a level one and level two casualty evacuation exercise performed by 2nd Medical Battalion, here, Oct. 31, in an attempt to showcase the battalion’s life-saving capabilities.

“Navy medicine is critical to mission accomplishment,” Roberts said. “I’m absolutely confident in the capabilities of 2nd Medical Battalion. The Marine Corps can count on them.”

According to Navy Capt. Michael S. Moeller, the commanding officer of 2nd Medical Battalion, the Marines and Sailors conducted the operation to show the process that takes place from the moment a service member is injured and through the levels of care that follow.

“Today we demonstrated what occurs from the point of injury after an IED blast, to evacuation by ground vehicles to a shock trauma platoon with an emergency room physician, who will stabilize the patients and prepare them for evacuation to the next level of care,” Moeller explained.

“(The shock trauma platoon) is the make or break level,” said Navy Cmdr. Pamela Harvey, the group surgeon for the 2nd MLG. “What happens at this level of care will bridge the gap from the point of injury to the person reaching the next level of care. All the life and limb saving interventions to get the patient to the next level of care are performed here. Without this critical step, we would lose a lot more people. Lives are saved here.”

Moeller explained that the patients will be medically evacuated by helicopter from the shock trauma platoon to the next echelon of care, known as a level two facility, where surgical capabilities are located. At this point, patients will receive lifesaving surgery as appropriate and, if necessary, be further stabilized as they move up to level three combat surgical hospitals.

According to Navy Chief Petty Officer Shawnreno Ricks, the command fitness leader for Charlie Company, 2nd Medical Battalion, level two care starts at the landing zone. The patients will move to what is known as the triage, where it will be determined whether the patient goes to surgery, the ward or the intensive care unit.

Ricks explained that level two is an important part of echelons of care. The Marines and Sailors involved at this level do everything possible to sustain life and prevent the individuals from going to the next level.

“This was our opportunity to demonstrate for the medical officer of the Marine Corps what we do in a forward environment,” Moeller said. “The staff, Marines and Sailors did a phenomenal job from start to finish. I’ve seen them in operation, I know what they are able to do and I’ve monitored their success. I have the highest confidence in the battalion.”

The life-saving capabilities of 2nd Medical Battalion became clear as the exercise came to a close, thus helping the Marines and Sailors of the 2nd MLG to accomplish their missions, while knowing their safety is well in hand.

“(Our Marines and Sailors) are in good hands,” said 1st Sgt. Paul T. Archie, the sergeant major of 2nd Medical Battalion. “Without navy medicine, we would not be able to complete our job as Marines. With Navy medical personnel working as quickly and efficiently as they do, many lives are being saved. Navy medicine, in my 18 years of experience, is getting better daily.”