PDA

View Full Version : Camp Lejeune Marines Receive Purple Hearts

thedrifter
11-03-07, 06:29 AM
Camp Lejeune Marines Receive Purple Hearts

Friday, Nov 02, 2007 - 11:00 PM

By Laura Vesco

Camp Lejeune Marines Receive Purple Hearts
It's a noble honor that most marine and sailors pray they never have to get. Nine marines and one sailor were awarded the Purple Heart today. It is a medal given for wounds received in combat. The marines and sailor were from 1st Battalion, Second Marine Regiment. All of them fought in Iraq this year and survived a variety of injuries. The Battalion Commander told the marines the medal represents their sacrifice for our country.

One Marines Story
Many of the marines say it’s not an award they planned on getting. Corporal Michael Sandoval called for help after getting hit with shrapnel when three Iraqi police stepped on an IED. Sandoval says, "I don't really consider myself a hero because I mean there are a million other people doing the same thing I am. It just so happens people think what I did was cool but it’s just another day we had to go through."

Purple Heart Veteran
Purple Heart Veteran Roger Kneisley understands what it's like to have a Purple Heart but what today’s marines face before they receive one is very different. Kneisley says, "It’s a total different war than what we went through most of ours were bullet wounds, small shrapnel wounds. These guys are going through stuff we never heard of before."

There are fifteen more marines from the unit who will get purple hearts in the next few weeks. The battalion was deployed in Iraq from March until the middle of September. Six fellow marines were killed during the deployment.

Ellie