PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Marine Barracks, Long Beach 65-66

dfr814
11-02-07, 03:04 PM
Looking for anyone who served at MB, Long Beach, CA in 65 or 66.

usmck9
05-19-10, 01:19 PM
July 65 to Sep 67, Admin

Alexander, Baker, Bartlett, Hasselrigg, Summers, White, Zinn were just a few. Albright, Sherman, Stepens, Dan Miller, Chang, Ferguson, Todd, Sheperd, Purcell, Hill, Saylers, Bryant, Sayles, Ewing, Albiston, Bankhead, Childress, Duran, Riati are all last names. Semper Fi
TWSUSMC listed.

dfr814
05-19-10, 01:28 PM
Yep, some of those names ring a bell. Had a run-in with Riati one night when I was working Shore Patrol on the Pike.

scatterbailey
06-07-10, 08:58 PM
Just missed your dates. There in 67. None of the names sound familiar but you know how the memory fades. BTW Major Christe ended up commanding the barracks, after the LtCol that had the command forever left, (can't seem to remember his name...) And...waht do you mean SP on the Pike? We WERE Shore Patrol......

scatterbailey
06-07-10, 09:04 PM
Wait a min....you mean Capt Chang??? His wife made him resign. Zinn as I recall was a mustanger, if memory serves me, I ended up serving with him in RVN in the 11th marines. He was a GunnerySgt by then. Bartlett, if it is the same one, stayed at the Barracks till he got out...went to his party. What a bunch of bandits....but all Marines in the true sense of the word.

dfr814
06-08-10, 09:16 AM
Chang was a Lieutenant when I was there and he signed my DD-214. The CO was LtCol Simpson, and SP on the Pike was a sought after assignment. Most folks worked the gates or the brig. Maybe things changed after I mustered out. I know they've really changed now as Long Beach Naval Station is no longer there.

Semper Fi!

scatterbailey
06-08-10, 11:10 AM
Yes, I know. I drove by there a few years ago and the whole area has changed. No more pontoon bridge, Pike, Naval Base. I did do gate duty for a while, what a thankless job manning pier ECHO. If I remember some other names I'll post again.
Semper Fi

ggyoung
06-08-10, 12:23 PM
Question here. How many Marine Barracks are there now?

usmck9
09-30-10, 02:06 PM
Wait a min....you mean Capt Chang??? His wife made him resign. Zinn as I recall was a mustanger, if memory serves me, I ended up serving with him in RVN in the 11th marines. He was a GunnerySgt by then. Bartlett, if it is the same one, stayed at the Barracks till he got out...went to his party. What a bunch of bandits....but all Marines in the true sense of the word.

I worked every unit except SP. SSgt Todd had the brig. Lt Zinn was admin adjutant. Hassilrigg was admin chief. I left admin 9/67 and I thionk Bartlett was still there.

usmck9
02-03-11, 12:02 PM
Just missed your dates. There in 67. None of the names sound familiar but you know how the memory fades. BTW Major Christe ended up commanding the barracks, after the LtCol that had the command forever left, (can't seem to remember his name...) And...waht do you mean SP on the Pike? We WERE Shore Patrol......

Col Simpson is the gentleman you're trying to recall. He was followed by Col Ferguson. I drove for Ferguson for a short time using the staff car.

usmck9
02-03-11, 12:09 PM

I would probably not be here if it were not for people like Zinn. Bartlett was cool. Most of us drive GTOs back then. I drove a grey 65, Bartlett had a 66 and Roy Alexander may have had a 67 GTO. We were admin rats.