PDA

View Full Version : Funny (and sad) Story

SGTBrentG
11-02-07, 02:32 PM
Achpeds post about meeting the Admiral reminded of a situation in 1990. My brother was graduating Navy bootcamp (he tried to go to the Marine Corps, but the recruiter ran him out for various reasons) at Great Lakes, IL. I happened to be stationed and Marine Corps Detachment, Ft Leonard Wood, MO. I wasn't that far away, so I picked up my sister in Columbia, MO and I drove to his graduation and wore my dress blues. As I walked through the base I must have been saluted 20 times and each time calmly explained the three stripes over crossed rifles did not rate a salute! Finally, my sister saw a side of me that she thought she would never see. I lost it! I went off on this kid who saluted me and commenced to explain to him that he would see Marines all of his career and that I suggested very strongly that he learn our rank structure. My sister was beside herself. Anyway...standing outside the drill hall a LtCmdr approached and I snapped to and saluted, saying "good morning sir". He returned my salute and said "good morning Sgt". My response was it really is nice to see someone on this base who understands the Marine Corps rank structure. He stopped and asked what I said and I repeated to him and explained how my morning had transpired. He was nearly apologetic and agreed with me that it was ridiculous. Later, after my brothers graduation was over, he conveyed to me another story. Standing in formation he could see us. Some members of his company were asking about me, the Marine. He told them I was his brother. They asked him, "is he an officer". When told no, they asked what is all that gold stuff. He replied, "those are buttons you f**king idiot!" LOL!:marine:

Achped
11-02-07, 04:58 PM
Hahaha! I laughed out loud.

Camper51
11-02-07, 05:38 PM
Now my side hurts from laughing so hard...... Great post

ssgtt32
11-02-07, 06:27 PM
Brent you owe me (1) new monitor for that story I spewed beer all mine!

Maurice

yellowwing
11-02-07, 11:08 PM
Great story!

semperfiman
11-03-07, 01:36 AM
Yea Baby Semper Fi

LeonardLawrence
11-03-07, 02:07 AM
Great story. I didn't see the ending coming! Love it!