PDA

View Full Version : Marines on Camp Foster grapple with Fear Factor

thedrifter
11-02-07, 08:05 AM
Marines on Camp Foster grapple with Fear Factor

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa (November 2, 2007) -- Would you bob for pigs feet in a cooler filled with fish sauce for an iPod shuffle? Would you drink a shake filled with liver and fish oil for a digital camera?

A lot of people would say no, but dozens of Marines and sailors answered yes to those questions at the Single Marine Program's 2nd annual Fear Factor Fright Night Oct. 26 at the Globe & Anchor on Camp Foster.

The three-event contest, based on the reality television show "Fear Factor," pitted 40 two-man teams against each other in a chance to win two roundtrip tickets to the states and many other prizes. Competitors representing each camp competed in the Drunken Wheelbarrow, the Restaurant of Horror and the Trike and Chug.

During the first challenge, participants wore "drunk goggles" in a relay race, which was followed by bobbing for pig's feet and sardines in a container filled with fish sauce, coconut gel and vinegar.

Six teams survived and made it to the final event, the Trike and Chug, which tested whether Marines could out gut the competition. Team members had to wear helmets, ride tricycles and drink shakes made from pig's blood, cottage cheese and other items. Only two teams finished the event without vomiting.

"The shake was the foulest smelling thing I have ever smelled in my life," said Cpl. Walter A. Pilk, a supply clerk with 7th Communication Battalion, III Marine Expeditionary Force. "I just chugged it, so I wouldn't have to smell it."

It was a close contest, but the Boomer Sooner's team consisting of Pilk and Cpl. Anthony S. Bradfield, also a supply clerk with 7th Comm Bn., beat the overall time of the Bama Boys team from 9th Engineer Support Bn., 3rd Marine Logistics Group, to win the airline tickets. The Bama Boys walked away with new digital cameras for their efforts.

"We knew from the beginning we were going to win," Bradfield said. "We have trained our entire lives for this competition, and just like our role model says, 'If you ain't first, you're last.'"