PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of MOS change due to injury?

Achped
11-01-07, 03:50 PM
Well, as alot of you know, I'm home on convalescent leave, and I'm a student at ITB. I have 2 stress fractures and metatarsalgia in my left foot. Its been a constant problem I've been experiencing since July, in boot camp. (And for the record, I did go to medical, and they did take x-rays, but the stress fractures were so small they didn't find them till after I graduated. Yes, I went through recruit training with 2 stress fractures in my foot. :thumbdown)

Well, I've been looking around, for a really long time trying to see what my options are, because I want to stay in the Corps. That's my #1 goal. I was reading on WebMD, and I came across these two statements.

"Any anatomical abnormalities -- like fallen arches -- can distribute stress unequally through the feet and legs. This raises the risk of stress fractures. So can poor-quality equipment, like worn-out running shoes.

Unfortunately, stress fractures tend to recur. About 60% of people who have a stress fracture have also had one previously."

Now, I have flat feet as well. They are, flat. Its not something I've been told by my mother, even the doctors at MEPS put it in my paperwork, but I didn't need a waiver or anything. They let people in with flat feet now.

I was wondering, alot of people who go through ITB, who get dropped for this exactly injury AFTER MOS breakdown (in essence completing "MCT" with ITB), get an MCT waiver, and get an MOS change. The thing is though, I didn't make it through even a few days of ITB, because they immediately saw I was limping and said "peace out, MRP".

Is there any way I could request an MOS change, I have a GT score of 137, a 95% AFQT, I'm not an idiot, I just didn't get the best feet for being a grunt. I'm sure we all can agree than an Admin job isn't on their feet nearly as much as a rifleman. Its not like I can't run, or have trouble humping, (In fact, I was one of the best humpers in the company due to my height). Its just that being on my feet and in the dirt and running through woods...well I guess I just wasn't cut out for that.

How can I go about changing? I don't care what job I get. I just want to be a Marine. But I know if I somehow make it through ITB and get to a grunt unit, I'll just end up letting them down. Those guys are hardcore.

I haven't talked to my platoon sgt about it yet, or anyone for that matter, but it would obviously be alot easier to complete the few weeks of a "Marine Camping Trip" and head over to MOS school, than complete all 52 days of ITB and get sent to a grunt unit.

I even know one female who had a problem with her wrist, that went to MOS school at camp johnson on limited duty, and is completing her job training, before graduating MCT. Once she graduates MOS school she will go back to geiger, finish MCT, and head to the fleet.

Apparently there are alot of options other than "You're healed, go train." and "You're broken, go home."

What should I do? Any suggestions?

killerinstinct
11-01-07, 04:17 PM
alright first next time you go to medical ask to see the podiatrist. Try to get foot insoles for you boots not the kind from the 7 day store or anythign actual insoles that are hard or fitted for...

Marine84
11-01-07, 09:08 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm.................make sure you keep us updated on this one - I would like to see how it will pan out too.

Do they still have career planners? Go see him/her...............

Achped
11-01-07, 09:48 PM
Killerinstinct, I appreciate the informative reply. Podiatry at the Naval Hospital on Lejeune are the ones who recommended me for Con. leave and put me in a cast. I've seen the insoles you speak of, they're pretty hardcore, carbon fiber and everything haha. I will definitely be getting a set once my foot is healed (doctor's already told me so). Hopefully those will be the end of my worries.

I didn't even think about the Chaplain. I will definitely try to speak to him as soon as I get back. That's a great idea.

Right now I'm just waiting it out, my foot has to heal before I do anything. I can't even run a PFT right now, or march to the chow hall, so getting my foot back to 100% is priority #1.

And yes, Kim, (is it ok if I call you Kim?) they have career planners, I'll ask my plt sgt or the chaplain how I would get in touch with one of them, but I don't know if there are any on Camp Geiger. Geiger is a training base, and a small one. So I'm not sure if there would be any there. Maybe on New River, and definitely on LeJeune though.

HardJedi
11-01-07, 11:39 PM
if you still wanna be a grunt you can be. heck I ended SOI with 6 stres fractures, 4 in one leg, 2 in the other. I just thought nI was SUPPOSED to hurt that much. I just waited to get to my unit, got sick of hurting, THEN went to the docs. my new unit wasn't too happy about me showing up that way, but hey, what are ya gonna do? when i was young I often treaded that fine line between "hard and stupid"

I'd say if ya wanna be a grunt, just grin and tuff it out. but what do I know, you might end up with permanent damage, I suppose if you pushed a real condition too far. ( kinda like my nack I screwed falling off the a-frame once, and then refused to see a doc. now i'm gonna need surgery to repair it.)