PDA

View Full Version : Website software recommendations

RVHall
11-01-07, 09:07 AM
Seven years ago, I created a simple business website using FrontPage 2000 running on a Windows 2000 laptop. That program was "clunky", I have no interest in learning HTML (my last programming language was FORTRAN IV), but my laptop is cratering fast.

I am about to purchase a new laptop running under Vista. What software do those of you with website experience recommend. I don't need anything really fancy, no interactive capabilities, just a simple website where I can honor those with whom I served, and where I can remind people that 2008 is the 40th anniversary of the 1968 Tet offensive.

Your suggestions and reasons would be appreciated.

I've deleted my old website and just begun to work on a new one, but I've given up, frustrated with FrontPage 2000: www.geologyrocks.net (http://www.geologyrocks.net)

GySgtRet
11-01-07, 09:18 AM
I bought a Toshiba lap top from Staples back in May of this year. I have found that Vista Home Premium is very versitile. I did a quick search for web design for compatabilities for Vista. I coipied the link http://www.microsoft.com/expression/expression-studio/overview.aspx
for you to take a look. I do not do web design but this stuff looks easy to use and is compatable with any version of Vista.

Happy searching.

Semper Fi

RVHall
11-01-07, 10:16 AM
I did a quick search for web design for compatabilities for Vista.
Thank you very much, Gunny. Microsoft Expression is the replacement for the old FrontPage program that I have. I will consider that option seriously.

Has anyone out there used Microsoft Expression? What is your opinion?

Semper Fi

RVHall
11-01-07, 11:38 AM
A very good program is Netobjets Fusion. Even though I do not use it for Leatherneck, I use it for several other websites.

Thanks, Jerry, I'll check that out too.

Vance

GolfingJarhead
11-02-07, 09:07 PM
I've used Frontpage 2000, 2002 and 2003. They have gotten better every year. I don't have too much experience with the new Microsoft offering, but it seems like they again improved on what they had. You don't necessarily have to know html, but getting familiar with formatting can take a while. There are tons of tutorials out there as well. Another option is to use something like godaddy's WebsiteTonight if you aren't going to get too crazy with design. I personally have not used it, but haven't heard anything bad about it. It is usually an add-on with their hosting plans.

RVHall
11-24-07, 05:01 AM
I've used Frontpage 2000, 2002 and 2003.....
Thanks to all of you for your advice. I went with Microsoft Expression, the Vista version of Frontpage. I'm now in the middle of creating a new website, and hope to work a little each weekend. The work in progress can be found at: www.anglicobluedragons.net (http://www.anglicobluedragons.net), although the pages on ANGLICO and on the ROK Marines are not yet completed. I've made lots of progress over the first two days of Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks again to all for the great suggestions. Expression seems easy enough, especially since I don't intend to do anything but a very simple website.

Semper Fi,

Vance Hall