View Full Version : NYPD and FDNY receive recognition and thanks

thedrifter
04-04-03, 08:21 AM
NYPD and FDNY receive recognition and thanks
Marines honor 9/11 heroes
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200342175652
Story by Sgt. Chris Eriksen

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa, Japan(April 2, 2003) -- The one-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks has come and gone. The war on terrorism is in its second year, and with that many in the local community have shown appreciation to the military. One Marine realized that recognition from the military was lacking in comparison to what the military had received.

Corporal Louis Ignarro, watchstander, Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron-1, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, recently presented the New York City Police and New York City Fire Departments with plaques of gratitude for their actions on that fateful day in September.

"I wanted to show my appreciation as a (New York) native to these two departments for what they did on that day," Ignarro said. "When I brought the idea to other Marines in the squadron they thought it was a good idea as well."

Ignarro said he was inspired by stories of Marines giving thanks for receiving appreciation for doing their daily job and being supported by the local communities.

"I had been reading stories on (www.usmc.mil) where Marines were thanking businesses for the support they gave the Marines through letters while they were in Afghanistan, but I never saw anything about Marines thanking the (New York) police and fire departments for the actions that they took on the day that the attacks were made in New York," Ignarro, a New York native said.

It was important to recognize these two groups for their dedication to protect and serve those in New York, according to Ignarro.

"On that day they proved that when you are in a profession that is there to protect and defend innocent civilians you don't think about your personnel safety, but the safety of those that you are there to help," Ignarro said.

The ceremony was held in the (New York City) police headquarters building.

"There was a small ceremony in the main lobby," Ignarro said. "I read what was on the plaques and gave a small speech on the motivation behind the presentation and presented the plaques to Capt. Gilhooly from the fire department and Deputy Inspector Dilan from the police department."

The plaques were a way for the Marines of Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron-1 to remember the men and women of the two departments, according to Ignarro.

"I was proud to be given the opportunity to show the civic institutions that lost so many men and women that day that we have not forgotten what they did," Ignarro said.

The plaque reads as follows:

From the Marines and Sailors of Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron-1, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Forces Pacific; To the men and women of the New York City Police/Fire Department. We proudly present this plaque in recognition of your tireless dedication and unselfish bravery to the citizens of New York City during the attacks on September 11, 2001 and the year that has followed. Your actions in ensuring the safety of those that you are sworn to protect has reminded us everyday what it is that we are sworn to defend so far away from our home. Semper Fidelis from "America's 911 Force" The United States Marine Corps to "New York's Finest"/"New York's Bravest" The New York City Police Department/New York City Fire Department.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200342192444/$file/plaque.gif

Caption:
Cpl. Luis Ignaro, watch stander, Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron-1, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, and New York native, presents Capt. Gilhooly of the New York Fire Department a plaque of appreciation from the squadron as Deputy Inspector Dilan of the New York Police Department looks on. The squadron presented the two departments with the plaques to show appreciation for all they did On September 11, 2001, to help the people of New York.
Photo by: Courtesy photo

Sempers,

Roger