PDA

View Full Version : Dad question

TMann
10-31-07, 11:40 AM
If this is not an appropriate question, I apologize in advance. I was looking for some input on NJP. My son graduated from PI in May of this year. Subsequently he obtained his MOS (Motor T/LVS). He did well in his training. About a month ago he purchased a motorcycle (crotch rocket) and managed to get a speeding ticket (105mph). Though his court date is later this month, he received an NJP for this infraction. All in all the punishment was not too severe (he maintain his rank/two week restriction) in large part due to the input of Cpls and Sgts. By all accounts, he is a good Marine. At this point, he plans to make a career in the Corp. How will this NJP impact him down the road? Simply put, can he recover from this? Any input would be appreciated.

GySgtRet
10-31-07, 11:49 AM
please fill in your profile. You will find that there is a reluctance to answer without a profile. There are rules for the forum. I intend no disrepect please respect our rules.

GySgtRet
10-31-07, 12:57 PM
Chances are there will be no permanant detrement for your son. He is very lucky to have gotten away with what he did. He probably should go to a driver improvement course. It will look very favorable to his command. The command wants you Marines to go out and have fun but at the same time being responsible is paramount. If he become a repeat offender of coursr this will not be tolerated.

Your son's NJP is not over with yet, the commanding officer can still vacate the sentence if he goes backward, I am sure that he would not do that. Please feel free to ask and look around the forum. Your son is not the only one that has taken chances like this. After all, we were all invinceable atthis age.

Welcome Aboard Leatherneck

:flag:

TMann
10-31-07, 01:11 PM
Thank you for your response. He does plan to take the course. Per his Sgt's advise, he is selling the bike. Lesson learned.

GySgtRet
10-31-07, 01:21 PM
Its just too bad he has to sell the crotch rocket they can be fun. He has a really good Sgt in charge then. <br />
<br />

rvillac2
10-31-07, 02:06 PM
Thank you for your response. He does plan to take the course. Per his Sgt's advise, he is selling the bike. Lesson learned.

LOL..yeah. A Marine's life is hazardous enough as is. No need to add young and dumb to speed. NJP is no big deal for a first and only offense.

gwladgarwr
10-31-07, 03:25 PM

Really good advice from a good Sergeant. Ditching the bike will let his command know he intends on taking control of his life.

Bikes for young Marines is a surefire death warrant, IMO.

The young Marine's career is not ruined - he can salvage this situation, and true, his command could have the NJP thrown out or vacated. He'll just have to take that improvement course and maybe do some other things (volunteer for extra duty and that sort of thing.)

Hope it works out for him.

Sgt gw

gwladgarwr
10-31-07, 03:27 PM
Hey Gunny, I hear there's a bike for sale! Better get with that young Marine and get a good deal! :bunny: <br />
<br />
Sgt gw:iwo:

GySgtRet
10-31-07, 10:48 PM
He only wants what it would take to pay off the loan. And maybe a tank of gas. I am glad that he has a chance with a excellent NCO. Go MT.

Gunny out

One4Eddy
11-01-07, 01:23 PM
Hello TMann~

Just tell your son that he can let this bring him down, or he can learn from his mistakes. Many Marines have gotten in a little bit of trouble early in their career and made a full recovery. One of our SNCOs got completely kicked off of Parris Island when he was a PFC, LOL. He just laughs about it now and says that it was a lesson learned.

killerinstinct
11-02-07, 08:34 PM
although i managed to pull off etting my first good cookie award i got njp'd the same week as i got my reward. BUT NJP usually wont effect his career.

i think abotu 95% of all Marines will recieve office hours at least once.

Isrowei
11-02-07, 11:08 PM
i think abotu 95% of all Marines will recieve office hours at least once.

Sorry to disagree... but that is absolutely not true. And it is simply bad leadership to imply that it's ok to get NJP because "most Marines get it at some point".

It is never OK to get office hours. Never. Sure, his career is not over, but he will have to work harder to prove himself over a mediocre Marine who performed well enough to not get NJPed. It won't slow him down through Cpl and Sgt because those are just cutting scores, but it will absolutely be something he has to overcome when he comes up for SSgt. And it only gets harder from there. Luckily the Marine Corps doesn't have a zero defect mentality... but it also doesn't appreciate disregard for the rules, or safety.

Phantom Blooper
11-03-07, 01:42 AM
TMann, without knowing the whole situation. I would venture to say that your Marine son was charged under the UCMJ Article 92 a Punitive article under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. <br />
<br />

LeonardLawrence
11-03-07, 02:13 AM
TMann, <br />
<br />
Sounds like good advice given. Best thing is to keep his nose clean and put time and distance from the infraction. Time heals all and it is not untrue in this case. <br />
<br />
We all did dumb...

TMann
11-05-07, 11:43 AM
Thank you all for your further input. I have retained an attorney for him who is a former Marine. Given he was a "squared away Marine" before this indicent has helped him. He has the support of his 1st Sgt as well as others. His restriction is up tomorrow. I have passed on this information to him and he appreciates the advise.