PDA

View Full Version : As the Corps grows, so does MCT

thedrifter
10-31-07, 09:40 AM
MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C.(Oct. 29, 2007) -- Marine Combat Training Battalion East celebrated the addition of Kilo Company during a stand-up ceremony at Camp Devil Dog, Oct. 18.

The new training company was created to make room for the Marine Corps’ increase of forces that’s expected to raise its number from 174,000 to 202,000 over the next four years, said Capt. Michael Meyers, MCT operations officer.

“Each of the two battalions (MCT and Infantry Training Battalion) need to stand-up a new company,” said Meyers. “We redesignated Echo Company (which is now part of ITB) to India Company. ITB now has Alpha through Echo Companies and we have Fox through Kilo.”

To accommodate the new company, five instructors from all of the existing companies were chosen to fill Kilo Company, explained Meyers. Because more instructors are needed, the next class of Marine combat instructors who graduate from the course will be used to back-fill other companies.

Lt. Col. Francis Grzymkowski, MCT commanding officer, noted during his speech, a slogan that former Commandant of the Marine Corps, retired Lt. Gen. Victor H. Krulak, used during his tenure as commandant, citing the two basic things that Marines do: win battles and make Marines.

“Today’s Corps’ leadership realizes that (this) happens at more than just the recruit depots, that making Marines exists in the entire entry Marine pipeline. The next step toward (this goal) occurs right here at the School of Infantry,” said Grzymkowski. “That’s the reason that we’ve grown to another company and that’s the reason that our program of instruction has grown by 25 percent. It is a testament to the fine Marines that we have who come here for three years and do a special duty assignment and carry the title combat instructor and how well of a job that (they) do at making Marines.”

MCT is planning to expand the number of training days in their schedule, stretching it from the current 22-day cycle to 29 days. The first MCT company to follow the new schedule begins training Dec. 27, said Meyers.

The new company commander for Kilo Company is Capt. James R. Fuller, Jr., who has been with SOI since June as the executive officer of Hotel Company. The first class to go through the new company is scheduled to begin Oct. 30.

“I’m thrilled about this,” said Fuller. “To my staff and the instructors of Kilo Company, I look forward to working with you and making a difference in the performance and the lives of the Marines who come through our company. This is an awesome responsibility and I will do what I can to properly train Marines so they can survive in combat.”

yellowwing
11-01-07, 02:12 PM
* Story Correction

The author Lance Cpl. Kimberly Crawford misidentified CMC Lt. Gen. Victor H. Krulak. It should read General Charles Krulak.