PDA

View Full Version : Flag Folding ceremony banned as non-PC

kentmitchell
10-30-07, 09:55 AM
Anyone who wonders why we might vote for Democrats in the next election only has to read the following; this was done by a Republican administration. What will our senators and representatives do about it?

Flag-folding recitations by Memorial Honor Detail volunteers are now banned at the nation’s 125 veterans graveyards because of a complaint about the ceremony at Riverside National Cemetery.

During thousands of military burials, the volunteers have folded the American flag 13 times and recited the significance of every fold to survivors.

The first fold represents life, the second a belief in eternal life, and so on.

The complaint revolved around the narration in the 11th fold, which celebrates Jewish war veterans and “glorifies the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.”

The National Cemetery Administration then decided to ban the entire recital at all national cemeteries. Details of the complaint weren’t disclosed.

Administration spokesman Mike Nacincik said the new policy outlined in a Sept. 27 memorandum is aimed at creating uniform services throughout the military graveyard system.

He said the 13-fold recital is not part of the U.S. Flag Code and is not government-approved.

Veterans and honor detail volunteers, including Bobby Castillo, 85, and Rees Lloyd, 59, are furious.

“That the actions of one disgruntled, whining, narcissistic and intolerant individual is preventing veterans from getting the honors they deserve is truly an outrage,” Lloyd said. “This is another attempt by secularist fanatics to cleanse any reference to God.”

Castillo, a Navy veteran of World War II, said it’s “a slap in the face to every veteran.”

“When we got back from the war, we didn’t ask for a whole lot,” Castillo said. “We just want to give our veterans the respect they deserve. No one has ever complained to us about it. I just don’t understand.”

HardJedi
10-30-07, 09:56 AM
i posted this exact same thing yesterday in the politics forum. it is complete garbage:thumbdown

mrbsox
10-30-07, 10:45 AM
SO... the $64 question is,
What if a family REQUESTS the recital ??

Can they 'sue' for being denied their RELIGIOUS beliefs ??

rvillac2
10-30-07, 10:58 AM
The problem is that this "recital" has no grounds in our Flag's history and tradition. It was an urban legend chain email that was meant to perpetuate itself throughout the internet.
Like it or not, our Flag has no religion.

That being said: Anybody that tries to squelch a family member or guest from saying ANYTHING at their loved one's funeral is a dirtbag and immediately declared an enemy of mine. However, as Veterans, let's not insist that this has any part of our military traditions.

jrhd97
10-30-07, 12:16 PM
Youre right the flag has no religion, it represents not one but the freedom of all religions. That was the premis for coming to America. That being said, the countyr was founded on christain beliefs and principals. In keeping with those, rituals like reciting the 13 folds are in keeping, and should stand unless a family asks it not be done

Mikhaelis
10-30-07, 02:32 PM
The flag and the folding ceremony is not being banned. In fact, I've never been to a flag folding ceremony at a funeral where it was recited. And the other thing is untilr ecently I've never heard of this recital. Thjough I have to wonder where this whole 11th "jewish" insert comes from. I can honestly say that in my entire enlistment I only ever met one jew in the armed forces and he was in my platoon in boot camp. Sounds like a bit of over representation to me.

booksbenji
10-31-07, 04:57 PM
:thumbup: <br />
<br />
VA Clarifies Policy on Flag-Folding Recitations <br />
Department of Veterans Affairs | October 31, 2007 <br />
WASHINGTON -- To ensure burial services at the 125 national cemeteries operated by...