PDA

View Full Version : Awesome time!!!!!!!!!!!

crate78
10-30-07, 09:14 AM
My wife and I had an awesome time in DC last week, even if it did rain most of the time.

The highlights were:

We toured all of the war memorials, WWII for the first time, the rest for the second and third times.

Went to Quantico and went through the Marine Corps Museum. I could write an entire thread about this, alone. The "Frozen Chosun" exhibit with the lowered temperature was especially impressive.

Had a private tour of the Capitol by one of Ted Kennedy's interns, arranged by a friend of our daughter's who works for Kennedy. (The end justified the means). We were in Kennedy's office in the Russell Office Building, but he wasn't there. (Why didn't that surprise me?) From shots I'd seen on TV, it surprised me that the rotunda in the Capitol is no larger than it is.

Spent several hours at Arlington Cemetary, including watching the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown. We'd done that before, but this time a couple of wreaths were placed on the tomb.

Made a trip to Mount Vernon. I didn't realize there were that many outbuildings, each with a specific purpose, scattered around the estate. Even back then, Washington was far more ecologically consious than has ever been publicized. Actually, since my wife and I were staying in a time-share condo in Alexandria, this was only eight miles. Our daughter chauffered us.

With Christmas coming up, we had to make a stop at the gift shop at the National Cathedral.

Now for a question. In the trees behind the WWII Memorial, there is an unpublicized memorial erected by Washington DC in honor of the service personnel of the District who served, and died, in WWI. This was before WWII, so it refers to WWI simply as the "World War". It has columns and a dome not unlike the Jefferson Memorial, only miniscule in size by comparison. It also appears to be sadly neglected and in need of some serious cleaning and restoration. From what our daughter, Amy, has learned, the District has no funds budgeted for the memorial's upkeep, and the U.S. Congress disclaims it as belonging to the District and not to the U.S. Apparently a lady once attempted a fund drive that fell flat.

Does anyone know any more about the memorial? I took photos of flagstones broken up, areas badly soiled by birds and other unknown causes, dead leaves piledup on steps, etc. I think I'll find out who in the structure of things would be most influential in the U.S. Government, email the photos, and ask why nothing is being done. Monetary expense for upkeep and a little publicity would be slight compared to what is spent on the rest of the memorials. And apparently this is the only memorial recognizing WWI.

Didn't intend to write a book, and I have work to do.

crate

HardJedi
10-30-07, 09:35 AM
sounds like a good time