PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Phil: Let’s set the record straight

thedrifter
10-30-07, 08:11 AM
Published: October 29, 2007 05:27 pm

Dr. Phil: Let’s set the record straight
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

This is in response to a letter to the editor Sat. Oct. 27th. Yes, it is true that Dr. Phil is coming to the area on Nov. 2nd, but I’m sure that it is not to depict our community as being all of the backwoods, toothless, grade school dropout, “stereotype” things Ms. Silbaugh addressed in her aforementioned letter.

Dr. Phil’s visit to this area is a joint venture with the United States Marines and a “Toys for Tots” drive.

When they decided to do this with a train ride, where better place to go than the safest Class I railroad in the country, Norfolk Southern. (18 straight E.H. Herriman Awards and counting.)

Now, let us take it one step further.

Bluefield, WV, is headquarters of The Pocahontas Division, one of the safest Divisions on NS.

The Herriman Award is earned, not just something given. Earned by the hundreds of folks that are employed by NS, and help comprise our community.

Secondly, the breathtaking views of our mountains this time of year is reason enough to come here.

Last, but certainly not least, this is a “Toys for Tots” drive.

The “Heart-wrenching” story here is the thousands of less fortunate children, not only in our community, but also throughout the country, whose families can’t afford to put presents under a Christmas tree this Holiday Season.

This is about the children.

As a locomotive engineer on NS for the last 18 years, I look at this as an opportunity to showcase the hardworking, caring, giving, and professional folks here in our community, and the gorgeous scenery we have to offer.

I say let’s show the world the real reason why they chose our community above all others.

This is a positive thing, not a negative one.

I for one salute everyone involved in trying to keep the Christmas spirit alive and making the Holidays special for so many children.

Scott Copeland

Peterstown, WV

Ellie