PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Marine Logistics Group builds camaraderie at 10th annual golf tournament

thedrifter
10-30-07, 05:02 AM
Twenty-nine teams of Marines and Sailors from the 2nd Marine Logistics Group swung their clubs through the 18-hole Paradise Point Golf Course, here, Oct. 24, as they competed in the 10th annual 2nd MLG Golf Tournament.

According to 1st Sgt. Paul T. Archie, sergeant major of 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd MLG, the golf tournament was a great way for the Marines and Sailors to interact and have a good time. It allowed everyone within the 2nd MLG to come together with friends and enjoy a day outside of the office.

“This has been a great day,” Archie said. “Playing in the tournament with fellow Marines and Sailors was definitely a good time. Bonding with your fellow co-workers away from the office is important. I can tell someone had to sit down and coordinate quite a bit.”

Rickey Hill, area coordinator for French Creek, was responsible for planning the event. Hill spent four to six months communicating with the commands, gathering the teams and planning the golf tournament. Hill explained that the time used to provide Marines and Sailors with a way to relax was well spent.

“It’s important with all the training going on and all the pressure that we did this,” Hill said. “It gives them a release. My favorite part of the tournament is getting them all out here and saying, ‘Ok, I would like for all of you to have a great time, to forget your office, your cell phone and to just have fun.’”

Whether an avid or amateur golfer, the tournament was a fun day for all 2nd MLG participants. The lack of experience provided a humorous element to the tournament.

“We’re enjoying the opportunity to laugh a little bit,” said Col. Alan B. Will, chief of staff, 2nd MLG. “Obviously we make mistakes, which are sometimes comical in nature, and so we’re enjoying that opportunity.”

The comedy was not all the Marines enjoyed. First Sgt. Kevin M. Conboy, company first sergeant, Headquarters Company, Combat Logistics Regiment 27, 2nd MLG, says he had a wonderful day seeing the teamwork.

“This is my first golf tournament,” Conboy said. “It’s been a fantastic day, being out here with the other Marines and seeing everyone in the group working together and having a good time. Seeing the teamwork, I would say the camaraderie is very important. It’s one of the purposes of having (the tournament.)”

“It’s been an outstanding day,” said Cpl. Harry Prochet, a warehouse clerk with CLR-27, 2nd MLG. “It gives us a better bond and lets us know that we’re all here for each other. It builds camaraderie.”