PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with filing my marriage with the Marines!!

AshleyHarrell
10-29-07, 03:23 PM
Ok so I am down to the wire here....I just got married on Sunday, October 21, 2007 and my husband is deploying for 6 months on Monday, November 5, 2007. Most of you probably know that you have to bring in your marriage cert to begin paperwork for payment, insurance, ID's etc well anyways I live in San Diego and the very next morning after our wedding wild fires were everywhere throughout San Diego county, thus causing businesses to close down and delay the mail. WELL I am assuming we will not be so lucky to have the county record our cert as fast as we would like so I was wondering if anyone out there knew a different way to go about filing these documents after he is on the boat? Our friends were able to use their "customer copy" but we already tried that and no luck! I really do not want to have to get the cert after he leaves, mail it through snail mail to him, and then twidle my thumbs waiting for everything to happen! I want things to be done soon so we can discuss what will happen especially financially as far as allotments and BAH are concerned. Anyways, if anyone out there has ANY insight or knows a way around this such as possibly him giving me a special power of attorney to handle this stuff when he is gone that would be great! Again any information would be helpful!

HardJedi
10-29-07, 03:40 PM
well, i don't relly have any advice for you, and for that i am sorry, but i DO wish you both the best of luck. Personally, though, I would advise him and you if the situation were reversed, against allowing EITHER partner any kind at all to have any special powers of attorney. but thats just me.

as i said, good luck, I hope it all works out for the best!

JIATF USMC
10-29-07, 03:47 PM
Maybe if he informs his admin shop of the situation you can bring the proper paperwork in whenever you have access to it.

Zulu 36
10-29-07, 03:49 PM
Have you checked with the personnel service center (I'm told most SRB, etc, maintenance is done at a higher than company level now) and see if you can handle the rest of the paperwork after hubby leaves - if necessary.

Find out from them what they will want and work from there. If some kind of power of attorney is needed, the local JAG office should be able to handle those.

I always left my wife with a durable full power of attorney whenever I went someplace with the military (except it was specified she couldn't sell the house or my guns). That way she could handle most of those little petty legal signature annoyances that pop up now and again.

Get a safety deposit box at a bank and keep the original and certified true copies of everything you get over the years (marriage certificate, home mortgages and deeds, car titles, etc). Make sure you get the bank to make the box available as "full rights to survivor." Same for your car and house titles, if the state you register these items allow it. Keep photocopies, or even additional certified true copies at home for easy reference. ALWAYS keep the originals safe.

That way, God forbid, if something happens to either one of you, the other can access the box, sell the car, house, etc, without having to go through probate court first.

OK. Now before you post further questions. You need to fill out a profile.

AshleyHarrell
10-29-07, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info and I just finished creating my profile!

GySgtRet
10-29-07, 04:18 PM
Before deploying there will be a lot of paperwork for every Marine sand Sailor that will be deploying. I suggest that you go to the legal assistance office at the base where your husband is stationed. Since the base and where you need to file the paperwork are all in San Diego county this should be the quickest way providing that the fires haven't hampered all of the processes. You are correct in the thinking that the paperwork needs to be completed before your husband deploys, good thinking.

I wish you both the best and a safe return for all.

Camper51
10-29-07, 04:19 PM
Any base legal office can help you with what you need. Any pay and allowances will be retroactive to the date of the marriage so although you may not get your money right away you will get it.

As to getting a power of attorney the base legal office can do it but your hubby must be there with you to sign it. Do it on base because it is free that way. I would also STRONGLY suggest getting a will completed, even a very simple one. Again base legal can help with this

ringoffire
10-29-07, 04:51 PM
Well, I can't really give you any more advice than whats already been given, and it's all good. Get the POA asap, that way you can get the ID card, base sticker for cars, etc. As soon as you get the POA and marriage cert. make copies for yourself to have on hand. I also kept a copy of my husbands orders as well.

So, congratulations and good luck with everything.

AshleyHarrell
10-29-07, 05:16 PM
I would just like to thank everyone for all the information it has been a great help and I will bring all of this to my husbands attention as soon as I get home!

Tegan
11-03-07, 11:18 PM
I GOT Married on October 5th and my husband deployed on the 21st. We are both Marines and had one hell of a time to get our paperwork started. The one quick piece of advice: make sure the power of attorney is specific. My husband left me one, and have had nothing but an uphill battle with the banks. but if you have any questions you can pm me, because im going through all of it on the military side of the house:)

DobbinsBlythe
01-21-08, 09:16 AM
I agree, Definately get a POA, but either make sure it's specific, or get a General POA. It'll cover everything. People will still hassle you, and it'll be a lot of paperwork and copy-making, but you'll be able to handle your business :D