PDA

View Full Version : The few, proud and persistent

thedrifter
10-29-07, 08:14 AM
Article published Oct 29, 2007
The few, proud and persistent

October 29, 2007

By Arlo Wagner - Carrie Gallahan and Shirley Keller — running mates from Peru, Ind. — did not win the 32nd annual Marine Corps Marathon yesterday, but they ached like elite runners.

"I'm very tired," said Miss Gallahan, 36. "This is my fourth marathon."

The women ran the 26.2-mile course in 5 hours, 9 minutes, about three hours off the winning time but long before the last recorded time of 7 hours, 58 minutes.

"I hurt all over," said Miss Keller, 43.

More than 30,000 runners registered for the marathon, which stretched along the D.C. and Virginia sides of the Potomac River. Temperatures in the 50s with low humidity and a cool wind created near-perfect conditions on the circular course that took runners along the Georgetown Reservoir and tree-lined Mall, then past historic monuments before finishing in Arlington at the Marine Corps War Memorial, better known as the Iwo Jima Memorial.

Organizers say 21,226 runners started the race at 7:30 a.m. and 20,642 finished. That included 1,486 active-duty Marines who began the marathon.

Marine medics tended to those with cramps, shortness of breath, fatigue and other minor problems, but no serious ailments or injuries were reported.

The number of finishers yesterday was the second-largest in race history.

Carl Myers, 51, of Middletown, Pa., who had run one previous marathon, knew what to expect and was prepared. He began training in May but acknowledged that he sometimes slowed down and walked. His time was 4 hours, 48 minutes.

"I got bitten by the [marathon] bug," Mr. Myers said. "I started running three years ago for my health."

Standing nearby and smiling with pride were his wife, Christina, and son, Matthew, 15, who said they will watch him in future marathons.

The race was won by Tamrat Ayalew, 33, who lives in Atlanta. The Ethiopian native posted a time of 2 hours, 22 minutes, 18 seconds.

The winning time for women was 2 hours, 51 minutes, 9 seconds by Kristen Henehan, a three-time All American track star at Georgetown University. She began training three months ago for a marathon, and this was her first.

D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty finished in 4 hours, 10 minutes, 50 seconds.

A little boy and little girl were waiting at the end of the race. They wore white T-shirts with the message: "Our Mom Is In This Marathon.

Ellie