View Full Version : Fresh from Fallujah

thedrifter
10-28-07, 09:50 AM
Fresh from Fallujah
5 questions with a U.S. Marine
BY JENNIFER MENSTER
RECORD STAFF WRITER
Sunday, October 28, 2007

MAIDEN -- Marcus Deal said he was nervous about going into battle in Iraq. But his nerves and expectations disappeared fast once Deal stepped onto the desert soil.

He realized he could handle being shot at, the extreme heat and working with the Iraqi people. Deal thought he might face a lot of firefights, but instead learned he was doing a lot to improve the country and detain insurgents.

“I wasn’t sure how to handle (going to Iraq),” Deal said. “But you are so confident with the people around you. There is an extreme sense of pride.”

Deal, 20, returned home a week ago after spending seven months in Iraq.

A 2005 graduate of Bandys High School, Deal said he was encouraged (and a little jealous) when a buddy left for Marine boot camp. Deal left college and enlisted in December 2005.

Deal’s mom, Miriam Brown, was shocked when her oldest son decided to join the military. She couldn’t believe he was willing to cut his long hair and put his hippy lifestyle aside.

Deal’s decision also upset his mom. She said she cried for a month when he left for boot camp, and panicked every time the war was mentioned on television. But the whole time, Brown still supported her son.

“I’m very proud of him. This has been the best thing for him,” Brown said. “I’m very supportive of his decision. We sent a care package at least every other week. He loved Chef Boyardee.”

Deal said the Iraqi people seem more supportive of U.S. troops than what he expected after hearing stories from buddies who’d served in Iraq the year before. He was impressed with the Iraqi police and army and, especially, neighborhood watch programs.

“There was a huge turnout for one neighborhood watch,” Deal said. “People were lined up around the corner. Men of all ages, from 14 to 50.”

Deal learned to deal with extremely hot and dry heat. Some days the temperature would reach 140 degrees, he said. The Marines were given plenty of water to avoid dehydration.

Deal also dealt with communicating with family members thousands of miles away. He said the military set up computers and phones for the Marines. Deal didn’t go more than a week and a half without talking to someone back home, he said.

Deal will utilize the lessons he learned in boot camp and during seven months in Iraq when he returns for his second tour of duty. Deal is stationed at Camp Lejeune until July. Then his division will be sent out for its second tour of duty. Deal said it’s undecided whether he’ll return to Iraq or tackle the desert in Afghanistan.

Deal has been coming home on weekends. He’s spending time catching up with family and friends, shopping for new clothes, enjoying Scarowinds and even dating. He was able to make time to answer a few questions for the Record.

1. What’s morale like over there?
Morale is good. It’s hard sometimes because many of the guys are leaving their wives, and it’s stressful on relationships back home. I’ve talked to a lot of them and they say if they could go back, they’d do the same thing again. Many want to go back. I want to go back. Not right now, but soon.

2. Do you feel there’s support from home?
Yeah, especially from families and communities. We are always getting gift packages - it’s the only thing we look forward to. Sometimes you get a little angry when you hear stuff that’s being said about the war over here (in America).

3. How long do you think the war will last?
I’m not sure. The way it’s going, I believe it will be over soon. I can’t voice too much because I don’t want to get in trouble, but things have been going well over there.

4. Do you feel you are making a difference in Iraq?
We do. It was different from what we thought it was going to be. The guys that were over there the year before us saw a lot more action. We saw less action, but more progress has been made, which we are very proud of. (Progress has been made) with people, with attacks; insurgent attacks have gone down a lot. They show us graphs of attacks, and they have gone down over the last year. Our work seems effective, and the (Iraqi) people are behind us now and support us.

5. Is there any concern or talk about going to war with Iran?
We just focus on our mission.

jmenster@hickoryrecord.com | 322-4510 x5409 or 304-6916

Ellie