PDA

View Full Version : Stationed

Matt88
10-27-07, 03:29 PM
I just have a quick question. My MOS is Field Artillary and I was looking at the different firld artillary units inside the Marine Corps and where they were stationed. I saw some in Calafornia and some in North Carolina. I'm an East Coast person and will be attending Parris Island and MCT at Camp Geiger. Will they most likely put me with an artillary unit on the east coast, or will they ship to me any unit that needs a person wherever? Thanks in advace.

HardJedi
10-27-07, 03:31 PM
you'll get shipped whever thy think you are needed, though MOST likely the east coast

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-27-07, 08:26 PM
When I finished comm school there were people from the east coast with orders to Camp Pendleton and people from Southern California with orders to Lejeune. You may be allowed to request a particular duty station- but the needs of the Corps will dictate where you go.

killerinstinct
10-29-07, 10:22 AM
i dont know if they do this for all MOS' but we got a wish list east coast, west coast, overseas and you mark 1 being what you want the most and 3 being the least.

zackmerc
10-31-07, 10:21 PM
You'll porbably get a unit on the east coast. I think the 10th Marines are stationed there so you have a chance of being with them. You'll first go to MCT, then Fort Sill in Oklahoma, and then probably be stationed in Camp Lejeune.

8 out of 10 you'll be on the East Coast. You might have a slight chance of being on the West Coast or even Overseas with the 3rd Marine Division in Hawaii and Okinawa. I don't know about that though, I'm not going into artillery.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-31-07, 10:25 PM
Where are you getting that information from?

WalkingMan
11-01-07, 07:29 AM
I just have a quick question. My MOS is Field Artillary and I was looking at the different firld artillary units inside the Marine Corps and where they were stationed. I saw some in Calafornia and some in North Carolina. I'm an East Coast person and will be attending Parris Island and MCT at Camp Geiger. Will they most likely put me with an artillary unit on the east coast, or will they ship to me any unit that needs a person wherever? Thanks in advace.

Whichever Stateside Rear Area you are assigned to, it will likely be temporary, for assignment, training, etc, before you are forward-deployed to wherever the guns are parked... Afghanistan, Iraq, or possibly Iran, or some other Garden Spot.

I was assigned to 1/12 supporting 3rd Marines, but my stay with 1/12 was extremely brief, as I was a radio operator, and was bounced out to the point FO team with Bravo 1/3, which became my new home for the next year.

Just keep an open mind, and remain flexible. The Marine Cops will send you where it needs you, when it needs you.

I wound up having extra MOS and a bunch of skill-sets that I had never planned on, and serving with the grunts instead of some boring comm center, and meeting some of the best people I ever had the privelege of knowing, along the way.

You're not an East Coast person or a West Coast Person anymore... you're a 'wherever they send me' person. Just relax, and enjoy the ride.

And remember... it's spelled 'artillery'. ;)

Phantom Blooper
11-01-07, 08:31 AM
I went to PI...grunt school East coast. Was stationed in Kaneohe Bay, HI with F 2/3 1st enlistment. Over the years of re-enlisting there were wish lists that I filled out and also on my fitness reports of my choices. I wanted to go to exotic places. They sent me back to East coast and kept me there,and pumped me out from there. In my experience it was the needs of the Marine Corps at the time.

The Marine Corps has a certain TO that they need to maintain at each duty station. Warm bodies are needed to match the numbers on the unit diaries. Having those numbers on paper does not mean that your unit will have that many Marines in a platoon,shop or squadron. Matter of fact, I never remember at my time of service being deployed with a full TO company or platoon. Numbers were brought up by having attachments to the grunt platoon and company .Attachments were from the battallion...if the companies weren't TO the battalion wasn't either. Tanks,tracks,comm, 81's,FO's and various MOS's made up the difference in numbers and bodies.

It all boils down to the needs of the Marine Corps.

If you wish in one hand and shiat in the other,all you have is a pile of shiat. Because a wish is a fallacy. There is hope but,no magic wishes. :evilgrin:

zackmerc
11-01-07, 01:50 PM
Where are you getting that information from?

That's what my Senior Drill Instructor told us

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-01-07, 02:40 PM
Your senior DI was less than correct. You go where you're needed- and nothing else will trump that simple fact. If they need bodies on the west coast, that is where he will be. The Marine Corps is decent about trying to do the right thing- but the needs of the Marine Corps must always come first.

zackmerc
11-01-07, 05:32 PM
Well, that's what he told us. Plus, he joined during peacetime so I don't know if that made any difference.

RADIOBAMF
11-02-07, 08:08 PM
Your, going wherever the Marine Corps needs you

jrhd97
11-02-07, 09:58 PM
Dream sheet is to make you feel good. Don't count on it. 10th Marines are at Lejeune, Last I knew they were on the other side of the street from 2LAR, and at times shared the 3 deck of Alpha Co.2LAR, Barracks on O st.