PDA

View Full Version : Morning of remembrance

thedrifter
10-27-07, 07:51 AM
Morning of remembrance

By Rachel Brant

Oct 26 2007

http://web.bcnewsgroup.com/portals/uploads/ckitsap/.DIR288/20071026131315P1-Marine-Memorial.jpg

Photo by Jesse Beals

Cpl. Alec Altamirano (left) and Cpl. Hussein Perez of Marine Corps Security Force Bangor lowered the flag during the Marine Corps memorial ceremony at Legend Harley-Davidson to honor those service members killed in the 1983 Beirut, Lebanon bombing.

At 6:22 a.m. Oct. 23, 1983, a large delivery truck drove to Beirut International Airport in Lebanon and forever changed the United States Marine Corps.

Marines, sailors, veterans and civilians gathered Tuesday, Oct. 23 at Legend Harley-Davidson in Silverdale to mark the 24th anniversary of the bombing in Beirut, Lebanon in 1983 that killed 220 Marines, 18 Navy personnel and three Army soldiers. The service members were stationed in Beirut to help keep peace in the war-torn nation. It was the bloodiest day in the history of the Marine Corps at that time since World War II when Marines fought to secure Iwo Jima.

“We held the ceremony to pay tribute to our active duty military personnel and those who have gone before them,” said John Towers, spokesman for Legend Harley-Davidson.

The driver of the delivery truck smashed through fences and gates before slamming into the Marine Corps barracks located at the airport. He detonated more than 12,000 pounds of TNT, crumbling the four-story building and crushing many service members to death while they were sleeping.

“When those Marines and sailors woke up, they woke up to a living hell,” said Sgt. Maj. Brent Cook, of Marine Corps Security Force (MCSF) Bangor, who served as guest speaker for the event. “It was hell on earth.”

The explosion was the “most powerful non-nuclear blast on the face of the earth to date,” Cook told the crowd gathered in front of Legend Harley-Davidson.

The bombing in Beirut heavily influenced Cook’s decision to join the Marine Corps. As a junior in high school in 1983, he watched the media coverage of the event. Cook vividly remembers a reporter asking a Marine why he was in Beirut and he responded, “I’m just doing my job ma’am, just doing my job.”

“I decided that day to join the Marines,” he

said. “I’m here today as a sergeant major because of that man’s confidence.”

Although the Beirut bombing was a major tragedy for the Marine Corps, many lessons were learned from the event, according to Cook.

“As unfortunate as it was, we’ve used that as a learning tool and the Marine Corps is at a better place today,” Towers said.

Cook told the crowd gathered at Legend Harley-Davidson to “not mourn the Marines, sailors and soldiers who died, but celebrate their lives” at the memorial ceremony. He also said he was proud of the confident and proud Marines he leads in today’s time of war.

“To some, war is just a bur in their shoe, but we will prevail because right is on our side,” he said.

After Cook’s address, Marines from MCSF Bangor lowered the flag and Navy Band Northwest played Taps. The MCSF Bangor Rifle Team fired off a 21-gun salute in honor of the 241 service members who died in 1983 in the Beirut bombing.

“I truly believe the streets in heaven are guarded by Marines,” Cook said.

Ellie