PDA

View Full Version : Laura Bush to troops: Never mind the newspapers

thedrifter
10-25-07, 07:43 PM
Laura Bush to troops: Never mind the newspapers

by Mark Silva
Baltimore Sun, United States -

“No matter what you might read in the newspaper,’’ First Lady Laura Bush told American troops stationed in Kuwait today, Americans back home appreciate their work and “the gift of freedom.’’

On a weeklong tour of the Middle East, the president’s wife stopped at Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait, transfer point for some 700,000 American ssing in and out of Iran and Afghanistan through the year. These soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines typically spend less than 24 hours on the ground at the so-called Theater Gateway, or Rock.

“I'm thrilled to be with the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines here at ‘The Rock,’ Laura Bush said there today, “especially since it's a nice, refreshing 95 degrees outside…. I think this a cold front.

“I know it's difficult to be away from home and family -- to miss those birthdays and holidays, to miss the first day of school. But through Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, you're keeping your loved ones – and millons of Americans – safe at home.''

“We're seeing signs of progress,’’ she maintained, delivering a familiar message from the administration. “As thousands of Iraqis are stepping up to work with coalition soldiers, Iraqis are providing intelligence and information on al Qaeda and other violent groups in their neighborhoods, and bringing security and stability to their communities. Brave young Iraqis are defying terrorists to join the army and police forces.

“Local tribes that were one year ago fighting us and ignoring the central government are now cooperating with coalition soldiers. They're engaging with the Iraqi government, and they're joining the political process. Iraqis can make these strides toward self-government because of improved security -- security provided by the men and women of the United States military.

“Around our country, President Bush and I meet with your families. We meet with families who make such a huge sacrifice in service to our country. In military hospitals, we meet with soldiers who've been wounded in combat. From our troops and your families, the President and I hear the same request: that we honor the sacrifice of our men and women in uniform by seeing your mission through. They ask the American people to stand with our troops. I'm here to tell you that the American people stand with our troops.

“And no matter what you might read in the newspaper, people do appreciate the gift of freedom,’’ the first lady told the troops.

Posted by Mark Silva on October 25, 2007 10:50 AM

Ellie