PDA

View Full Version : Branchburg, N.J., native licenses Marines in Ramadi on MRAPs

thedrifter
10-23-07, 02:21 PM
RAMADI, Iraq – With the rush to field the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle in Iraq, there is little opportunity for Marines to receive the necessary training required to drive the new equipment before deploying. One Marine from 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, is prepared to solve that problem for his fellow Marines.

Cpl. Domenick Distano, a motor transportation operator with Headquarters and Service Company, recently arrived in Ramadi, the capital of the Anbar Province, ready to train his battalion on how to use the vehicles.
“I am qualified to license the Marines for the Cougar,” said the Branchburg, N.J., native. “I also license them in the up-armored humvees, or any other vehicle in our inventory.”

The 2005 Sommerville High School graduate joined the Marine Corps more than two years ago with the intent of driving different vehicles because he figured it would be fun. He also wanted to see the wide spectrum of missions the Corps performed while he was driving around and seeing different people around the world, he said.

“The humvees were not as fun as I first thought they would be,” the 19-year-old said. “But, the MRAPs are definitely interesting. I never imagined driving such an important vehicle, one that saves lives all the time. I enjoy training the Marines on them, but I enjoy driving them around Ramadi more because I get to see the people and the kids. It is amazing how friendly they are, especially here in Ramadi, the locals, the Iraqi police, everyone is so happy to see us.”

His love for helping people and his desire to see different missions the Marine Corps performs, so far, has been fruitful. His first deployment was with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit during the evacuation of nearly 15,000 U.S. citizens from Lebanon after fighting broke out between Israel and Hezbollah in August 2006 . Distano said he felt ecstatic to have the opportunity to participate in an evacuation, a mission the Corps is always prepared for, but thankfully, little opportunity to conduct.

“It was great getting to help U.S. citizens in need,” he said. “We took them up to the flight deck and they were amazed at how we were able to get them out of harm’s way.”
Distano said his parents, Debbie and Keith Barreiro, are proud of his noble profession and how much he has done in his short career already, but shrugs it off as matter of fact because he feels it’s part of what he needs to do.

“I was excited when I found out we were coming to Iraq because I really wanted to get it under my belt,” said Distano “When people join the Marine Corps, they are either afraid to go to Iraq or they joined to go. When you go ahead and come, you feel like you are setting the example and maybe those people who were afraid to go will not be and will follow you. This is not exactly what I thought it would be. There is nothing really happening like you hear. Marines want to fight, but there really is no fight here. It is pretty quiet.”

Distano plans on making the Marine Corps a career, but right now is just happy with the opportunity to play a vital role with the infantry battalion, allowing Marines to safely operate a vehicle that saves so many lives.