PDA

View Full Version : Handfasting

Moderboater
10-22-07, 02:17 PM
I was wondering in the Marine Corp, is the pagan ritual of "handfasting" "official"--meaning does the Marine Corp recognize the marriage as being legal, or would you have to do it in a western manner?

Moder

Wyoming
10-22-07, 02:43 PM

I had to look it up - never heard of such a thing - I prolly tried it however - for the weekend.:cool:

www.handfasting.info/ (http://www.handfasting.info/)

Phantom Blooper
10-22-07, 06:56 PM
I had to look it up also.... but my first thought was giving up playing with yourself for Lent.

http://www.handfasting.info/

:evilgrin:

3077India
10-22-07, 07:29 PM
I had to look it up also.... but my first thought was giving up playing with yourself for Lent.That is what I thought too. :p :D

This is something new to me. I did a quick look at the site, I find it interesting that they include in Common Law Marriage under the heading of Handfasting.

It is difficult to assess whether the USMC would acknowledge Handfasting since marital issues are usually handled by the States; with the Military generally accepting any legal [traditional] marriage automatically - as long as you provide a copy of the marriage license. You might want to speak with your local recruiter and ask who you can speak to about this. At the very least he should be able to put you in contact with a JAG Lawyer.

sparkie
10-22-07, 07:31 PM
Walk around the tree 3 times, sayind "I divorce You" "I divirce you" "I divorce you" From the Sterile Cucu.

Zulu 36
10-22-07, 07:34 PM
I was wondering in the Marine Corp, is the pagan ritual of "handfasting" "official"--meaning does the Marine Corp recognize the marriage as being legal, or would you have to do it in a western manner?

Moder

I would say the Marine Corps would not recognize handfasting as a legal marriage. You need a marriage license to prove a legal marriage, which you wouldn't get in handfasting.

Also, if you managed to get past that and chose the year-and-a-day option, then decided not to renew, your "spouse" would still get bennies until you could show legal divorce papers. Can't get a legal divorce without a legally recognized marriage.

To stop bennies, you'd have to admit you pulled a fast one regarding the marriage. The Marine Corps looks dimly upon being suckered.

Handfasting is merely a twist on trying to make shacking up look religiously legit. So, if you want to shack-up, go ahead. You won't get bennies for it.

Phantom Blooper
10-22-07, 07:43 PM
I was going to answer this original question seriously.

It took that women whose husband died in Iraq or the War on Terror along time to have the Wiccan name be put on a tombstone and memorial recognized by the government (VA).

I would be hard pressed to think that the Marine Corps would recognize this type of joining without a LEGAL license. I guess you could print one on the internet and use it and spend your honeymoon in the brig.:evilgrin:

Moderboater
10-22-07, 08:21 PM
hmmm--thank you for the information--I will try and research this further..but I do believe I am screwed unless I get a marriage license.

Robert Browell
10-22-07, 08:27 PM
Boy,you gotta quit that handfasting:yes: It'll make you go blind,grow hair in the palms of your hands,and when you git to boot camp it will wake up your bunky!:usmc:

sparkie
10-22-07, 08:30 PM
Robert,,, You are a probilem child too ,,,}>

Phantom Blooper
10-22-07, 08:37 PM
Robert....Can't he do it until he needs glasses and let the pussycat lick it off his hands?

:evilgrin:

Marine84
10-22-07, 08:43 PM
DAMN! This thread is TOTALLY not what I thought it was going to be from the title - HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Osotogary
10-22-07, 09:30 PM
I do believe if there was a poll taken about what "Handfasting" meant, at least here on this website, the answers would have included a hairy or sweaty palm over 90 percent of the time.
I thought that it meant falling in love with and marrying yourself in a totally self absorbing manner...if you know what I mean. LOL.

Phantom Blooper
10-22-07, 09:37 PM
I thought that it meant falling in love with and marrying yourself in a totally self absorbing manner...if you know what I mean.

Do you still need a license?:evilgrin:

Phantom Winger
10-23-07, 11:56 AM

Moder

First off, we're the Corps .. not a coproration.

As others have stated, the Marine Corps (and Uncle Sam) don't care what kind of religous (or lack thereof) ceremony you have to get married. They only care about your declaration in the form of a marriage license. You can get the license at the court house, go down the hall to the JP, declare you "I do's" in a civil (not religous) ceremony and be on your way to handfast until your heart's delight. Without a marriage license you're just cohabitating and your "spouse" won't qualify for benefits.

The other route would be to claim a common law marriage which doesn't require a marriage license but may require different affadavits depending on the jurisdiction.

BRUISER
10-23-07, 02:45 PM
I thought handfasting meant you stopped jerking off for a period of time.

Silly me

PatriotGirl422
10-23-07, 09:27 PM
I thought handfasting meant you stopped jerking off for a period of time.

Silly me

The Sgt's just coming out and saying what everyone's been suggesting in a not so blatant way.

sparkie
10-23-07, 09:31 PM
Your caveman wedding don't jingle my bells. Take your Bull$hit elswhere. Maybe to the renassuance fare.

Moderboater
10-24-07, 08:33 AM
sparkie--its not a "caveman" wedding--and I have figured out how I am going to about my affairs, so thank you for all who have posted trying to help.

Phantom Blooper
10-24-07, 07:18 PM
A caveman does not have a religion....he is a pagan or heathen. Don't know of too many cave church services held on Sundays.

The definition of "Handfasting" is a pagan custom or ritual according to the website posted, so why during the hair pulling,club stompin' days of the caveman how do you know that man & wimmin cave people were not joined in cave people matrimony and consummated the rock bed in heathen style? If history in all facets of life is destined to repeat itself in one respect by definition Sgt.Sparkies could be construed to be correct.

Glad to hear that you have your affairs in order and hopefully it will be legal. But keep in mind when your standing in the woods getting hitched,stay out of the poison ivy. :beer:

Osotogary
10-24-07, 08:29 PM
Would "Glad Handing" be an off-shoot of "Handfasting"?

Phantom- You don't need to be married to you hand or have a license for your hand to have a self absorbing experience. (I almost said, "I know".) LOL

Seriously, Moderboater, I hope that everything turns out okay for you and your very personal concerns.

Phantom Blooper
10-24-07, 08:37 PM
Gary, I hope the kid keeps the poison ivy off his hand......I know! :thumbup:

Phantom- You don't need to be married to you hand or have a license for your hand to have a self absorbing experience. (I almost said, "I know".) LOL

He might be able to go to Kinkys... AKA Kinkos and get a license made...select stores are open 24hrs. :banana:

BRUISER
10-25-07, 11:49 AM
Is "Hand Party" the opposite of Handfasting?

3077India
10-25-07, 01:28 PM
Gary, I hope the kid keeps the poison ivy off his hand......I know!A little poison ivy down below will add an extra sensation during sex. :nerd: I just don't know if she got it too from that. :p