PDA

View Full Version : New Fear Leads Both Legal, Illegal Latinos To Leave PW: Random Sweeps Are a Worry

gwladgarwr
10-22-07, 11:35 AM
New Fear Leads Both Legal, Illegal Latinos To Leave Pr. William:
Random Sweeps Are a Worry

By N.C. Aizenman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, October 22, 2007; Page A01

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/21/AR2007102101725.html?nav=hcmodule&sub=AR"]

(excerpt)
"Even after they passed that July resolution, I had hope that [the supervisors] would change their minds," said Diaz, 37, who has legal status but worries about relatives who do not.
Now, she noted bitterly, "I'll be selling at a loss. But I don't care. I no longer have any affection for this place that treats us this way. I just want to get out."
Jose Ventura, a Salvadoran mason renting an apartment in Manassas, cites similar reasons for his decision to move not just his residence but also his business to Maryland.
Ventura, 38, who came to the United States seven years ago and then received the temporary protected status because of the earthquake in his homeland, smiled ruefully as he recalled the sense of possibility that suffused Prince William back then. "Oh, it was so great. There was so much work," he said.
He took two jobs to save enough to start a masonry company, then built it into a 35-person operation.
But a slowdown in the construction industry has forced Ventura to cut his workforce to 15 people. Meanwhile, his plan to buy a new house and offset some of the mortgage by renting some of the rooms backfired after county residents called for a crackdown on overcrowding. A few days ago, the bank foreclosed on the property, wiping out all $80,000 of his savings and leaving him $20,000 in debt.
The supervisors' unanimous approval of the anti-illegal immigration resolution struck Ventura as the last straw.
"I feel like when this county was growing, when they needed us, they welcomed us Latinos with open arms," he said. "But now that the county is all grown up and times are hard, it's totally turned its back on us. They are so ungrateful."

I've had enough of these immigrants who believe that they are the ones who are doing this country a favor. This guy, Ventura, is legal, and was let in on a humanitarian visa after an earthquake in his native country. Who in hell should be the grateful one here? America? Hell no!!WE should be grateful for him gracing our country with HIS presence? He seems to forget who gave him a place to live and a place to prosper financially when he was down on his luck, and now it is AMERICA that should be the grateful one? Where do they get this attitude about flipping the situation around in saying that the giver of aid and comfort to a disaster refugee should be the grateful one????!!!!
No, buddy: it is YOU who are the ungrateful one. America gave you shelter when you needed it, and you spit in America's eye with that turn-the-table-around attitude. Your unjustified sense of entitlement is unbelievable.

And now it's a Latino thing, eh? This country welcomed EVERYONE who got in line and did it legally, like this Ventura guy. And he LUCKED OUT when the invitation was HANDED OUT to him. This country has welcomed people of ALL ethnic persuasions over the past 231 years of independence, including Latinos. In the same vein, illegal immigration has cracked down on EVERYONE trying to sneak in illegally. This guy ought to go down to NYC's or SF's Chinatown if he wants proof. Even better, if this is all of a sudden a color thing or a Latino thing: Boston has a good number of illegal aliens from Ireland - yes, Ireland - who came in on student or short-term visas and overstayed their visas. They are being cracked down on, too.

This Ventura ingrate is only upset because, although he himself is a legal, temporary resident, his employees in his little masonry business are overwhelmingly illegal, and since PW County (where I live) has finally begun to crack down on this massive national security issue as well as a major flouting of our laws, he's now crying that all of his (illegal) employees are beating feet out of the county. I'd like to see if he's paying Social Security taxes on his employees as well as witholding taxes.

You can bet your aspiration he isn't.

What both of these people here are saying is that it's all a racist thing against Latinos. Well, if the overwhelming majority of illegal aliens come from Mexico, Central, and South America, and those who are legal residents are in solidarity with their Latino brethren, it comes down to a persecution mentality. It is no longer a matter of legal vs. illegal. They see their illegal brethren being deported or driven away, and all of a sudden it is a pogrom against Latinos.

If you are a legal resident, you have nothing to worry about. When you encourage or actively support illegal immigration, especially for "your own", whatever that means, and when the authorities crack down on it, what else would you expect?

I suppose it would be OK if INS or ICE targets only Asian illegal aliens or African illegal aliens but leave Latino illegal aliens alone because they have done SO MUCH for America by gracing us with their (overwhelmingly illegal) presence.

I suppose that if (and they do) deport illegal aliens from Asia, for example, my own mother, a legal immigrant from Japan (legal like Ventura), should be indignant when a bunch of illegal sweatshop workers in Chinatown are rounded up and deported or when university students from Tokyo have overstayed their student visas because this is a big racist consipiracy against all Asians. No, that's a big I DON'T THINK SO.

Yeah, sue me for my ungratefulness, buddy. And on your move out of PW County, don't let the screen door hit you on the culo on the way out.

Sgt gw:iwo:

Isrowei
10-22-07, 11:46 AM
Amen.

Robert Browell
10-22-07, 01:43 PM
Make that two amens Brother!

gwladgarwr
10-23-07, 01:35 PM
Here's the sanitized version sent to the editor of the Washington Post at letters@washpost.com:

Dear Editor:

This letter is in reply to Mr. José Ventura as reported in the Monday, October 22, 2007 edition of the Washington Post in the story “New Fear Leads Both Legal, Illegal Latinos To Leave Pr. William: Random Sweeps Are a Worry”:

“Indeed, Mr. Ventura, it is you who are so ungrateful. America did not turn her back on you when she invited you in your time of need. Turns its back on "us"? You are still here - legally – thanks to the United States. Turning the 'ingrate' accusation back onto your hosts is breathtakingly galling.

“Do not casually attribute your current misfortunes to unfounded racial persecution. America has welcomed you and all legal (read: "invited") immigrants of every color and creed. Likewise, all illegal aliens face sanction, regardless of race. Prince William has lost its patience with illegal immigration that you condone evidently if it benefits only Latinos. Your prosperity, presumably derived to some degree from illegal immigration, ended simply because Prince William objected to the exploitation of its hospitality. Latinos do not exploit this hospitality; illegal aliens do.

“Mr. Ventura, for once in your prosperous life brought to you courtesy of your hosts the United States and Prince William County, try thanking them instead of harboring an unwarranted sense of entitlement to meeting your insatiable, undeserved, and unqualified demands. A proper guest neither accuses his hosts of ungratefulness nor makes outrageous demands of them.”

Chopped that down from 497 words to 200. Not bad for a dumb Marine, eh?

Feel free to circulate this letter (but not to any extremist groups or anything like that.)

Sgt gw:iwo: