PDA

View Full Version : Memorial for soldiers dedicated

thedrifter
10-21-07, 08:52 AM
Memorial for soldiers dedicated
phillyBurbs.com, PA

Just before 10 Friday morning, the families of the dead soldiers and Marines gathered in the courtyard of the county courthouse in Doylestown. There were uniformed cops, men in suits, a minister, the county commissioners, the president judge, courthouse staff and the curious.

They were there to see the dedication of a memorial for 16 Bucks Countians who have died serving in the war.

The memorial is unique in two ways. It is the first of the county's monuments to be dedicated while a war is ongoing. Also, it is not of stone. It consists of flags affixed to light posts in the courtyard. Each flag bears the face of a soldier, the soldier's name, hometown, place of death and age.

Nate DeTample, 19, of Lower Makefield, is the youngest. Kurt Krout of Spinnerstown is the oldest, 43.

The memorial is not unique in its location, though. It takes its place along with six other war monuments around the courthouse, which mark the Civil War through the Gulf War of 1990-91.

The concept was Ruth Stonesifer's, whose son, Kris, was among the first killed in the war while he was in Pakistan on Oct. 19, 2001. Friday was the sixth anniversary of her son's death. He was 28.

“He used to get into trouble in this courtyard, skateboarding,” she said, glancing toward his smiling countenance.

Above was an unbroken overcast. People were saying they hoped the rain held off. The courthouse bells chimed deeply, and amiable chatter ceased. A prayer was offered by the Rev. Don Howland of the Doylestown Presbyterian Church, who said that what the soldiers and Marines did was “good and kind and faithful.”

The three county commissioners spoke. Then, Marine Col. Tom Manion, whose son, Travis, was killed this year, addressed the audience. He said the dead would want two things from the living: To understand the threat posed by the enemy, and to never forget “the sons and daughters of Bucks County” who came face to face with that enemy, and lost their lives.

Marine Capt. Eric Cahill led a drum line through the courtyard, stopping at each flag, announcing the name and hometown. He attended the Naval Academy with Travis Manion. They had English class together. Cahill recalled explaining to Travis the difference between “who” and “whom.” He had a tough time facing his friend's flag, saying his name, but he did it, and moved crisply to the next flag.

Capt. Cahill barked the name of Marine Cpl. Barton Humlhanz, who was 23 when he died in Iraq two years ago. Oliver Groman, a Bucks County deputy sheriff, stepped forward in uniform and saluted.

“He's my nephew,” Groman said. “I think of his smile, how outgoing he was, how his family was everything to him. It's been two years and sometimes I still expect him to come through the door.”

Bob and Fran Dembowski were there, too. Their son, Bob, was 20 when he was killed last spring in Iraq. The Dembowskis had visited the courtyard alone the night before to see the memorial. Fran wasn't sure how she would react.

“When I saw his picture and I ran to it,” she said. “It took my breath away, seeing him. I thought I'd be too emotional, but as I stood here, it was like I could feel Bobby was next to me saying everything's OK,” she said.

Bob Dembowski's was the last name read. “Taps” was played, and the ceremony concluded.

Later, rain moved in, but it was gentle and a breeze was warm like summer, and people lingered in the courtyard.

Mullane's column appears Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

October 21, 2007 6:20 AM

Ellie