PDA

View Full Version : Marine Flag Defaced, Pet Badly Beaten

thedrifter
10-20-07, 04:42 AM
Published: October 19, 2007 10:04 am

DISHONOR

MARINE FLAG DEFACED, PET BADLY BEATEN
By Vanessa Fultz, Democrat Reporter

Eva Smith and her husband, James, returned home from a trip in August anxious to display the U.S. Marine flag they had purchased while away. James had just graduated from specialty training in the U.S. Marine Corps as a motor transportation operator in Fort Leonard Wood, Miss. Earlier this year he completed boot camp and combat training.

The day after they returned to their home in McAlpin, James, a private first class, noticed a stain on the new flag and Eva noticed her dog, Sebastian, was lethargic and refused to eat. On closer examination, Eva discovered someone had smeared grease on the flag. A veterinarian's examination of her dog revealed Sebastian had internal damage to his throat and three broken vertebrae. He was hospitalized for six days and couldn't even pick up his head to eat.

Though appalled, the incident did not slow the Smiths for long. Eva carefully cleaned the flag and kept it flying high.

"It hurt very much when I was washing it down. I didn't even take it down to wash it, I washed it up there," she said.

Eva believes the perpetrator reached over her fence to deface the flag when Sebastian began defending his territory. She believes his internal wounds came after he was hit and kicked.

She said after the ordeal Sebastian could not bark and his weight dropped 15 pounds.

"He barked for the first time yesterday," she said Wednesday.

Eva believes the person who did this not only stomped on her dog but stomped on the efforts of those men and women who put their lives on the line for America.

"In my opinion, whomever stained this flag has defiled the memory of every Marine past, present and future that has stood in the front lines for the freedoms of this country," she said. "Nineteen, 21, 22 year olds are putting their life out there. This individual is stomping on what they are standing for."

Eva, who is originally from Honduras, has a special place in her heart for the Marine Corps. Her cousin Zelman Garcia, a gunnery sergeant in the Marines, will soon complete his fifth tour in Iraq. Her nephew Vidal Vassall, a private first class in the Marines, will soon be deployed to Iraq. James is on assignment in the Mojave Desert and is also scheduled to serve in Iraq.

"With three members of my immediate family right now serving in the Marine Corps, I have earned the right to have that flag up," she said.

She said she will continue to proudly display her flag.

Eva told her story at the Suwannee County Commission a few weeks ago where she got a warm welcome.

"I was kind of teary eyed. I don't think there was too many dry eyes in the place," said Commissioner Ivie Fowler, who served in the U. S. Coast Guard for four years.

"Being a Vietnam solider I can't imagine anyone doing this," said Commissioner Doug Udell. "Hopefully it will bring some peace that there are people who care. We do care. I care."

County commissioners joined forces and bought the Smiths a new flag to replace the one that was defaced. They are also collecting money to set up a reward for the arrest and conviction of the perpetrator.

Commission Chairman Randy Hatch said commissioners passed the hat and taxpayers are not footing the bill for the cause.

"They were all astounded and shocked about what happened and were very compassionate," Eva said of the commission.

Anyone with information regarding this incident may call the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office at 386-362-2222.

Ellie

Scottyva
10-20-07, 02:12 PM
What in the Hell is wrong with the Civilians in this Country?

FistFu68
10-20-07, 02:21 PM
:evilgrin: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM,IS THAT THEY NEVER HAD THE CHIT BEAT OUTTA THEM;AND TAUGHT WHAT THE WORD RESPECT REALLY MEAN'S?:evilgrin:

ItzAlex
10-20-07, 02:27 PM
Words cant explain how angry I am right now. I hope they get caught and delt with.

Robert Browell
10-20-07, 06:16 PM
:mad: Absolutely,positively disgusting!!Don't know who they were mad at,perhaps they were just mad!(as in crazy) Nothing that I would call a man attacks property or innocent pets to settle a beef! That's what a spineless turd would do!A man goes directly to the source of his beef and deals with it! These,so called people,that did this,obviously fall into the spineless Turd category:thumbdown

LeonardLawrence
10-20-07, 06:16 PM
I am pulling for a battlefield commission to Sgt for this dog!:beer:

As for the perpetrator....shameful!:mad:

jahhead88
10-20-07, 06:34 PM
To the perpetrator:

Congratulations Hero. You beat up a dog and smeared a Marine Flag. Well, that's one tough act of courage. Oh, I know the flag attacked you and you had to defend yourself. And the dog, well of course you couldn't leave any witnesses. Truly hard corps.

Just thought you should know one thing though. The majority of law enforcement out there are former Marines or have served in some branch of the armed services. So, congratulations, you really showed your valor, you attacked a flag and dog when no one was home. I wonder are you a teenage punk, whose parents don't step up and supervise you? Are you an anti war demonstrator, who thought by doing this, you would have war stopped?

Well one things for sure, you apparently wanted to start something. You got your wish. So, do the honorable thing your kind do, run and hide. Sooner or later you will be found.

Scottyva
10-20-07, 11:05 PM
:evilgrin:Maybe they can actually send this vermin to MCRD so he can properly be punished

I am pulling for a battlefield commission to Sgt for this dog!:beer:

As for the perpetrator....shameful!:mad:

SkilletsUSMC
10-20-07, 11:17 PM
I for one will volenteer to stand post in his front window and wait for the lil chit to come back. I have something for him. And I want to give it to him face to face. And after Im done My pitbull Tank can have at him for the dog.

LeonardLawrence
10-21-07, 01:42 AM
:evilgrin:Maybe they can actually send this vermin to MCRD so he can properly be punished

Like the sentiment, but not in my Corps!:mad: I think they have already shown themselves as a coward.
Deface the flag=scum in my book...and to kick someone else's dog is just unforgiveable! [NO WAIVERS]

Sgt Leprechaun
10-21-07, 11:11 PM
Typical of the left wing scum that seem to populate the country nowadays.

Just remember, though, they "Support the troops". Just don't ask them WHICH troops that refers to.

I would dearly love to get my hands on some skinny little slimebag doing that.

The great thing is, if this little punk (s) are ever caught, the prisoners in 'general' population will express THEIR displeasure as well. Animal abusers and flag defacers are right on the same level as child molesters in jail.

It's thoughts like that that keep me warm on cold nights :)

jahhead88
10-21-07, 11:27 PM
We shouldn't be so hard on whoever did this. (sarcasm) They just might have issues they need to get in touch with. As a therapist by profession, I would recommend a session of bootnasstherapy.

Yes, I think that would do the trick. What amazes me sometimes is the level of stupidity some people have. Vandalize the pet and flag of a Marine, yeah, like nothings going to happen. All these idiots due is strengthen others resolve to fight. Recently in Missouri there was a cop that was killed, hundreds of cops went after this guy, and get this, the idiot thought he would be able to hide out at his parents house. His dad was a former City Attorney. Duhhhh.

Now, some half-wit smears a Marine flag and beats up a dog. Well that's an intelligent thing to do. Get a bunch of Marines ticked off. I heard a story, and it may have been exaggerated of some bikers that got into a fight with Marines outside of Camp Lejeune. Well, apparently these bikers thought they were going to inflict more damage and from what I heard were met in the streets of Jacksonville by amtracks, and a lot of heavily armed Marines, as well as local police.

I hope they get whoever did this, and get him off the street before his brand of stupidity rubs off and infects others.

ridingcrops
10-23-07, 10:58 PM
I don't know why Leprechaun has to assume it's a left wing nut.
I'm left wing and I served in the Nam and this story ****es me off too. And to attack a defensless animal really got me.
But don't go making it a political thing it's all about an a-hole. Maybe they should round him up and send him to Iraq with no training so he can stop a couple of bullets aimed at the true heros over there.

gwladgarwr
10-23-07, 11:38 PM
Y'know, when you have two threads on the "latest posts" listing - one about defacing the Marine Corps colors and the other about "would you approve of torture" - you know it's going to be one of those days.

It's bad enough when you hear about a poor dog being beaten, and it's almost unbearable to hear about flag desecration (Old Glory or the Marine standard), but run together, you're liable to lose your mind.

Maybe it's time to renegociate and redefine "torture" with our allies, or at least redefine it for ourselves.

Reason and persuasion is looked upon with contempt by our enemies as well as those who walk amongst us. Perhaps it is time to lower our resistance to methods that would engender a bit more respect. Many do not or will not listen to reason - they only respond to a heavy fist.

Sgt gw:iwo:

Kegler300
10-24-07, 04:59 AM
Sad...I'd love to catch one of these idiots in the act.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-24-07, 06:39 AM
Because, quite simply, I don't know too many 'right wing nuts' who go around defacing the American Flag, or the Marine Corps colors. Since the left wing is rather notorious for doing both, ergo, using the 'reasonable man' scenario, the likely culprit is a left wing hairbag.

RVHall
10-24-07, 01:14 PM
Darn this computer, can't get the image to show.
Sorry but the offer stands. I live in Tulsa, OK, and the perpetrator is welcome to give it a try at my house.

FUTURE JARHEAD
10-24-07, 06:30 PM
What in the Hell is wrong with the Civilians in this Country?

The have been infected with a disease called liberalism, plain and simple.

FUTURE JARHEAD
10-24-07, 06:46 PM
Liberalism: May have serious side-affects such as hating America, Defacing the Marine Corps flag, and maybe even the urge to beat up a poor little innocent dog. If such side-affects should (and most likely will) occur, it is suggested that you commit suicide in the most painfull way imaginable.

Gfunk4life
10-25-07, 11:01 PM
The one good thin is when he dies Allah's gona but-rape him.