PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the few, the proud:

thedrifter
10-20-07, 04:22 AM
Looking for the few, the proud: Marine recruiter answers questions from Rogers High School students

By James J. Gillis/Daily News staff

NEWPORT - Marine Staff Sgt. Cordell Hodges says he is no salesman, just a guy providing information.

He looks good doing it, in a dress uniform full of medals, an outfit that seems papered onto him. Hodges, 31, who grew up in St. Louis, visited Rogers High School on Friday, laying out Marine pamphlets and pencils on a table and handing out stickers including the Marine motto "Semper Fi" - always faithful.

"My goal is more to enlighten not necessarily to sell, to let people know what to expect," he said.

Hodges is no arm-twister. He stood near the rear of the cafeteria, letting students approach him if they wanted. It was his first time at Rogers, having taken over for a previous recruiter. Some students merely were curious, just wanting to meet a man in an eye-grabbing uniform. Others have known Hodges for months and were ready to sign up.

He opts for the soft sell, offering his own experience. He has served in the Marines for 12 years, including stints in the hot deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan and a three-year stretch in Hawaii. "Hawaii," he said with a smile. "That wasn't too bad at all."

Pitching the Marines during wartime can be difficult, he acknowledged, especially swaying skeptical parents. But he offers a list of benefits, such as access to education - he holds a bachelor's degree in computer science - and an opportunity to travel.

"The problem with the parents can be a lack of knowledge," Hodges said. "Fear is also a factor. I just try to provide information and answer their questions."

Not every Marine goes to war, he said. Much of his time has been spent stateside, including his current stint as a recruiter, based in Fall River, Mass.

Unlike many high schools, Rogers has a junior ROTC program. Some students start exploring military careers as freshmen and sophomores.

Senior Richard Williams, 17, is close to signing up with the Marines. He's known Hodges for months and wants to become a pilot and an officer, figuring the Marines will provide him the training. Williams is awaiting word on an ROTC scholarship that should cement his decision.

If joining the Marines means combat duty in Iraq, that's OK with Williams. "I support what we're doing over there," he said. "It would be an honor to serve."

Hodges said students such as Williams are the kind he likes to see. The starting salary for enlisted recruits is about $400 to $600 twice monthly, Hodges said, and there is upfront bonus money for recruits depending on qualifications.

"If you're looking at just money, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons," he said. "Once the money goes, you're going to be unhappy if that's your only reason for joining."

Hodges, who is married with two children, grew up in a low-income family. He joined the Marines to be a role model for two younger brothers, he said. "I wasn't sure which branch I wanted to enter," he said. "But with the Marines, I figured I'd be joining the best of the best."

Senior R.J. Bergmann, 20, is deciding between the Marines and the Army. He has a good rapport with Hodges, with whom he's spoken several times. "He's good at answering your questions," Bergmann said.

Hodges plans to serve at least eight more years and admits to a professional bias when it comes to the Marines. "It really comes down to personal preference, what you're looking for in life," he said. "Me, I'm glad I chose the Marines."

Hodges asked students about their goals, what kinds of careers interested them and how the Marines might fit their plans. Recruiting is more sedate than some other Marine Corps jobs, he said, but he enjoys talking to young people.

Had he not joined the Marines out of high school, Hodges is uncertain where he'd be now. "Probably nowhere," he said. "I wouldn't have done a lot of the things I've done. I wouldn't have my degree. I wouldn't have been to the places I've been."

Ellie