PDA

View Full Version : I was thinking

jahhead88
10-19-07, 01:44 PM
As I sat in Cardinal Glennon Hospital in St. Louis, wondering if my boys were going to make it; I noticed many parents with worn out looks on their faces. Parents slept on couches in their child's rooms; or in the parent lounge.

As I watched these parents and infants going through their daily struggles; I began to wonder something. I read countless stories of heroism in the paper. I've heard stories of bravery by firefighters and police officers. A Marine who places his body on a grenade to save the lives of his fellow Marines; is often awarded a much deserved medal of honor for their valor. Citations are given out to recognize these acts of heroism; and again, they are much deserved.

But who recognizes the parents and the children who fight for their lives daily. One of my co-workers was presented a medal when her husband was in the navy for her work as a volunteer at Guantanamo Bay.

As I thought of this, I began to wonder what could be done to recognize these parents and children. Is there a Marine Corps version of a medal of valor for these kids who are dying. I know we have toys for tots; I'm mostly curious as to what is out there. I often heard of units being given awards; is there an award that can be given to parents and children at places like Cardinal Glennon or St. Jude's Hospital?

I know there is the make a wish foundation for the kids. Is there anything that can be done to recognize the sacrifice these parents make for their children?

Semper Fi.