PDA

View Full Version : Military Town Protests Can Be Lonely

thedrifter
04-02-03, 10:48 PM
Apr 2, 11:10 PM EST

Military Town Protests Can Be Lonely

By ALLEN G. BREED
Associated Press Writer

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Being a war protester in a military town can be pretty lonely.

At a recent peace rally, the crowd on the traffic circle across from city hall hovered between six and a dozen, barely outnumbering the officers stationed there to protect them.

But in some respects, it's remarkable they had that many.

Fayetteville is host to Fort Bragg, home to the famed 82nd Airborne Division and the Army Special Operations Command. With 45,000 soldiers and dependents stationed hereabouts, this is a town awash in olive drab and red-white-and-blue, a town where billboards ask God to "bless our troops" and the air is filled with the slap of fluttering American flags and the rustle of yellow-ribbon-ringed trees.

When bombs started falling on Baghdad last month, about 1,500 people turned out to cheer the soldiers, not jeer them.

In Fayetteville, said Quaker House director Chuck Fager, anti-war protesters have become accustomed to a delicate tap dance. He makes it a point not to plaster his car with anti-war bumper stickers, and he goes out of his way to say that he supports the troops, even though he's against the war.

"I personally don't feel unsafe from day to day," said Fager, whose organization counsels soldiers and has helped stage peace protests.

"But it's worth noting, and I'm continually reminded of the fact that, in 1970, the first Quaker House was firebombed in the middle of the night," he said, referring to a still-unsolved arson four days after a massive rally by Vietnam Veterans Against the War.

A rally Wednesday by about a dozen peace protesters was met by a boisterous counterdemonstration of more than 100. The event coincided with a visit by former President George H.W. Bush to nearby Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station.

At a rally Saturday by the group Women in Black, a passing motorist threw an empty plastic soda bottle at six demonstrators, prompting talk of canceling this Saturday's planned vigil. Group member Darlene Hopkins said these developments illustrate what she sees as a growing hostility toward the anti-war protesters.

"It's very much a struggle for me," said Hopkins, a psychologist and counselor at Methodist College who worked with soldiers returning from the first Gulf War. "I don't want to make anyone's pain worse, and yet I feel I have to tell the truth - that this war is not the answer."

As 19-year-old Drew Plummer hoisted a sign saying "Bring our troops home," a man in a white Volvo gave him the thumbs-down. Another shouted insults as he circled the tiny group gathered beneath the arches of Fayetteville's old slave market.

With his green Army shirt and multiple piercings, Plummer may have looked like just another peacenik. But in a few weeks, Petty Officer 3rd Class Plummer will report back to his job as a nuclear electrician's mate on the aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower.

"I'm not a pacifist; I'll do my part," Plummer said the fourth-generation military man. "I just don't agree with what we're doing right now. ... I don't think our guys should be dying in Iraq."

Plummer joined the Navy to see the world, serve his country and earn a little money for college. He said he never dreamed he'd be helping wage a war he doesn't believe in, a war he thinks is all about money.

With Americans being killed and taken hostage, Plummer expected angry confrontations. Instead, he found some encouragement.

"Let me shake your hand, young man," Ashley Rozier II said to Plummer. "I knew there were some smart people around here."

But that doesn't translate into more people standing on the street corners.

City Councilwoman Anne Fogleman said it's a good thing she's not running for re-election. She's never protested before, and is uncomfortable doing so this close to a military base. But she just couldn't stay home this time.

"We've never been the bully," she said. "And all of a sudden the world hates us."

As a 13-year veteran of the 82nd Airborne who has worn the uniform in Saudi Arabia, Grenada, Panama and Honduras, Jeffery Portee thinks we should "support our country 100 percent." But he also thinks people should be allowed to protest anywhere they want.

"That's a double-bladed sword," he said as he passed by, shaking his head.

Lorraine Buttner served in the Army five years and left just before the first Gulf War. Her husband wore the uniform, too, and her son is in Korea right now. But there she was at a recent protest, holding a sign that asked, "How many lives per gallon?"

"Although we all hope that this war will be over rapidly, we'll be in the Middle East for a long time to come," she said. "And who knows what our president has in mind next?"

---

EDITOR'S NOTE - Allen G. Breed is the AP's Southeast regional writer, based in Raleigh.

Sempers,

Roger

wrbones
04-02-03, 10:58 PM
Not to justify any violence, but I think it's typical. The peace protesters can physically attack others, destroy private and public property, commit sedition at every turn, and then turn right around and get scared when someone tosses an empty, plastic soda bottle in their direction?

That is sad!

Barrio_rat
04-03-03, 02:11 AM
Very true, Bones...

Originally posted by thedrifter
Military Town Protests Can Be Lonely

In Fayetteville, said Quaker House director Chuck Fager, anti-war protesters have become accustomed to a delicate tap dance. He makes it a point not to plaster his car with anti-war bumper stickers, and he goes out of his way to say that he supports the troops, even though he's against the war.

Okay, if you support the troops doesn't that mean that you support the killing of Iraqis, the destruction of Iraqi buildings and the victory of the United States over the tyranical government of Iraq? In other words, doesn't it mean that you support the war?

At a rally Saturday by the group Women in Black, a passing motorist threw an empty plastic soda bottle at six demonstrators, prompting talk of canceling this Saturday's planned vigil. Group member Darlene Hopkins said these developments illustrate what she sees as a growing hostility toward the anti-war protesters.

To what Bones stated. They can attack those that support the United States, the president and the effort of our military but, though it may not be right to do, when they are attacked, in even the slightest manner, it is a growing hostility? Where did the hostility begin - who brought it to bear first?

As 19-year-old Drew Plummer hoisted a sign saying "Bring our troops home," a man in a white Volvo gave him the thumbs-down. Another shouted insults as he circled the tiny group gathered beneath the arches of Fayetteville's old slave market.

With his green Army shirt and multiple piercings, Plummer may have looked like just another peacenik. But in a few weeks, Petty Officer 3rd Class Plummer will report back to his job as a nuclear electrician's mate on the aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower.

"I'm not a pacifist; I'll do my part," Plummer said the fourth-generation military man. "I just don't agree with what we're doing right now. ... I don't think our guys should be dying in Iraq."

Plummer joined the Navy to see the world, serve his country and earn a little money for college. He said he never dreamed he'd be helping wage a war he doesn't believe in, a war he thinks is all about money.

He's a Petty Officer? Supposedly a "leader" and one who is to command in the Navy. I hope his Master Chief reads this article and puts him up for Captains Mast! Maybe when he goes out to sea on the USS Eisenhower he'll fall off. Since when did we have to agree with what was going on while in the military. It is not ours to wonder why, just to do and die... or something to that effect. His reasons for joining? I figure if he told the truth it would be, "...to get out of this little run down town, get some money for college, travel... but I never thought I'd actually have to go to war or something scarey like that."

"We've never been the bully," she said. "And all of a sudden the world hates us."

We are a bully because we are taking out a guy who's killed hundreds of thousands of people? Who cares if they hate us. They've always hated us. They're just showing it more now. We fight wars in a kind way so they aren't as afraid of us and many don't remember or realize we are the only nation to ever use a nuke in a time of war. Perhaps they should fear us instead of hate us.

Lorraine Buttner served in the Army five years and left just before the first Gulf War. Her husband wore the uniform, too, and her son is in Korea right now. But there she was at a recent protest, holding a sign that asked, "How many lives per gallon?"

"Although we all hope that this war will be over rapidly, we'll be in the Middle East for a long time to come," she said. "And who knows what our president has in mind next?"

If my mother did this while I was in, I'd never see or speak to her again. "We'll be in the Middle East for a long time to come" ? Well, duh! We've been in the Middle East for a long time already - we're just doing something about it, again. Since 1800 we've been involved with the Middle East. One war per century ain't too bad. We should be there to look after our interests (take that how ever you wish - lots of places you can go with it, some are even right). And, since when do we ever know what the president has in mind next? Even though, this one has been pretty up front with his ideas for the futer - like 'em or not.

Well, that's what I got to say about that!