PDA

View Full Version : MLG Marines receive prestigious awards for actions in Iraq

thedrifter
10-19-07, 06:59 AM
MLG Marines receive prestigious awards for actions in Iraq

By Cpl. Bryan A. Peterson, MCB Camp Butler

Third Marine Logistics Group Marines, families and friends gathered in front of the Group headquarters Oct. 15 as Brig. Gen. Peter J. Talleri, 3rd MLG commanding general, presented bronze star medals to three Marines for their actions in Iraq.

One of the Marines, Capt. Jared A. Laurin, received the Bronze Star Medal with combat distinguishing device.

According to the award citation, from January 2006 to January 2007, Laurin served as an advisor with Military Transition Team 11, advising an Iraqi company of soldiers with 2nd Brigade, 1st Iraqi Division.

Laurin, who led a team of 11 to 15 III Marine Expeditionary Force Marines, advised the Iraqis on specific missions including raids which netted 14 detainees, civil affairs operations and a total of more than 150 separate combat operations involving direct enemy contact.

Laurin said he is more pleased with the fact the Iraqi brigade he served with is now independently running its own operations than with receiving the award.

“I never thought I would get an award like this,” he said. “But, more importantly, I am glad that the work we did had a part in the 2nd Brigade’s success. The Marines I had working with me did a great job and without them, the mission couldn’t have been accomplished. I’m proud as hell right now.”

Another Marine honored was Master Sgt. Nathaniel E. Hill, who received the Bronze Star Medal for his service as the Military Transition Team Advisor for 3rd Company, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 1st Iraqi Division from May 2005 to February 2006.

Hill headed the training and mentoring of the soldiers in the company, according to the award citation. He kept the Iraqi soldiers’ morale high as they were subject to constant enemy fire and threats to themselves and their families.

He participated in more than 110 combat patrols in Fallujah and Saqliwiyah, which resulted in numerous caches of weapons, rockets, mortar rounds and ammunition being recovered from 45 captured, suspected insurgents.

“This is a very humbling experience and I am grateful and honored to have received such a distinguished award,” Hill said. “To build a relationship with the Iraqi people, I had to learn their culture first hand. Building their trust and confidence was challenging, yet rewarding.”

Also receiving the Bronze Star Medal was Maj. Carlos O. Rowe, who served in Baghdad as the advisor to the director of Iraqi Armed Forces Recruiting for Multi-National Security Transition Command from October 2006 to May 2007.

He is credited with leading recruiting missions into the most dangerous regions of Iraq, contributing to the strategic mission of restoring confidence in the government of Iraq and laying the groundwork for reconciliation of groups who were brought into the military, according to the award citation.

Rowe’s efforts to improve new Iraqi combat units’ readiness helped restore security and allowed coalition forces to redeploy with a professional Iraqi army in place, according to the citation.

After the awards’ presentation, Talleri highlighted the Marines’ accomplishments as an example to follow when Marines deploy to Iraq.

“As Marines, we take care of business,” Talleri said. “When duty calls, we will step up to the plate, just like these gentlemen did in Iraq. We are privileged to be in the presence of these fine warriors.”

Ellie