PDA

View Full Version : I know two Marines who never went to boot camp?

Bruce59
10-18-07, 01:55 PM
Ok, Like I said I know two Marines that never went to boot camp. The Marines were in my Marine Corps League in N.J. The key to this is the time they served in the Corps, world events would play a big part. I think that maybe there would be about 30 Marines this happened to. So with that said how do you think this happened ? I asked this question to many many Marines and no one has ever came up with the right answer, I have given you enough info to get the right answer. Oh don't say the U.S.M.C. Band, that not it.

Bruce

http://wallofhonor.bravehost.com

Quinbo
10-18-07, 02:12 PM
This has to be a trick question. Officers don't go to boot camp. I know Lucas was a stowaway who entered the Marines at 14. Is he one of them?

Ed Palmer
10-18-07, 02:17 PM
During WW2 some reserves had not gone to boot camp before they were called up and went overseas with their assigned units

David Jameson
10-18-07, 02:28 PM
But I think this really did happen at the beginning of the Korean War.
What is the scoop?

David Jameson
10-18-07, 02:33 PM
MY mind is Mush (old age) The were Contractors on Wake Island .
they were given the (whatever ) of enlistment by the CO of Wake on Dec.7Th or 8th.!941.

FistFu68
10-18-07, 02:55 PM
:evilgrin: THEY HAD SEX CHANGES,AND BECAME W.M OFFICERS(LMAO):confused:

ivalis
10-18-07, 03:10 PM
I doubt if john phillip sousa went to boot camp.

Eric Hood
10-18-07, 03:16 PM
I also know some Marines who fought in Korea, never went to Boot Camp. They enlisted in the reserves in 1949 or 1950. The Korean war broke out and they were activated. They fought at Chosin.

Bruce59
10-18-07, 03:48 PM
David Jameson You are RIGHT, Both of these Marines Joined the Marine Corps Reserves just a month or so before the Korean War. And were to go to boot camp in a few weeks of the out break in Korea. But there unit was called up
and they went to Calf. where they had rifle and weapons training. And it was off to Korea, When they and there unit got back from Korea the Marine Corps offered them a chance to go to boot camp if they wanted to, They didn"t want to.

Bruce

http://wallofhonor.bravehost.com

Wyoming
10-18-07, 04:45 PM
... and, the 'rest of the story' is .... ? <br />
<br />
So were they discharged ... or ... what???

Zulu 36
10-18-07, 05:16 PM
David Jameson You are RIGHT, Both of these Marines Joined the Marine Corps Reserves just a month or so before the Korean War. And were to go to boot camp in a few weeks of the out break in Korea. But there unit was called up
and they went to Calf. where they had rifle and weapons training. And it was off to Korea, When they and there unit got back from Korea the Marine Corps offered them a chance to go to boot camp if they wanted to, They didn"t want to.

I freely concede that fighting at The Chosin was boot camp enough.

thewookie
10-18-07, 05:18 PM
I know a guy, Ken Howe, who's the past president of the local VFW and one day when I was talking to him he told me that he never went to boot camp, he was in the Air Force, no sh*t and somehow (I can't remember his whole story so I don't want to try and misquote him, but I do believe him) he made it into the Corps, during Korea, and then he served 24 years combined active duty and reserve as a Marine. I think back then they made a few exceptions or waived a few rules? Sh*t, if some guy back then wants to go to Korea and freeze his crank off while fighting those bast*rds then why not, let him go with the best and earn it that way? Maybe not today, not with kids these days that are probably more of a liability considering all the video game hero's out there. This guy Ken, he's still hard Corps, and he's sharp as nails well into his eighties. He's a good guy, and he earned it. Semper Fi Marines

greensideout
10-18-07, 05:20 PM
My son-in-law's father was a Marine. He joined the Marine Corps Reserve and served 4 years. That was in the '50s. He never went to boot camp.

When I served in the Army Guard most all of the senior NCO's never went to basic training.

It was a different culture in America back then. It didn't take the "re-building" of the mind and body as it might now. No video games, just hard work to grow up with.

SlingerDun
10-18-07, 05:23 PM
When they and there unit got back from Korea the Marine Corps offered them a chance to go to boot camp if they wanted to, They didn"t want to. hehehe what a surprise!

thewookie
10-18-07, 05:24 PM
whata bargain

Bruce59
10-18-07, 06:37 PM
So were they discharged ... or ... what???&lt;!-- / message --&gt;&lt;!-- sig --&gt;__________________ <br />
Yes they were, Honorably Discharged

Marine84
10-18-07, 07:26 PM
:evilgrin: THEY HAD SEX CHANGES,AND BECAME W.M OFFICERS(LMAO):confused:

HAHAHAHAHAHA - good one fist!