PDA

View Full Version : Other Arab nations warn US.

wrbones
04-02-03, 10:10 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s823005.htm

Last Update: Thursday, April 3, 2003. 1:00am (AEST)
Arabs warn US not to use Iraq to pick new fights
Arab commentators and officials have warned the United States its war on Iraq was widening its circle of enemies in the Middle East and urged Washington to refrain from picking new fights.

The comments came in the wake of recent threats by senior members of President George W Bush's administration against Syria and Iran, and later Israeli warnings to Damascus, that they would be held to account if they gave support to Iraq.

Samir Ragab, editor of mainstream Egyptian daily al-Gomhuria, said threats issued by US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Colin Powell were hurting Washington's standing in the area at a time when it was making few gains on the ground in Iraq.

"It will not be in US interests to hurl threats at certain countries and create the impression that they are next on the list of US targets," Mr Ragab wrote in a comment column.

"It is expected that the US would keep silent, otherwise it will widen the circle of its enemies," he said.

Mr Powell and Mr Rumsfeld have signalled in separate comments that Syria must abandon what they say is its support for Iraq and "terrorism" or face the consequences.

Israeli Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz appeared to add fuel to the fire when he said both Israel and the United States viewed as "very grave" the aid Syria has allegedly given to Iraq.

Ghassan Charbel, deputy editor-in-chief of the pan-Arab al-Hayat, said Israel was trying to push the US-Syrian dispute over Iraq "to the point of conflict".

In Algiers, Algerian Foreign Minister Abdelaziz Belkhadem told parliament in an extraordinary session on Iraq that US threats to Syria would worsen the crisis in the Middle East.

"Algeria expresses its solidarity with brotherly Syria in the face of threats and menaces. The question now is who will be the next to be threatened?" he said.

Ghassan al-Khatib, Palestinian Minister of Labour, said the US approach would destabilise the region and harm Western interests.

"Democracy cannot be introduced by tanks and warplanes," he said.

Anti-US sentiments in the Arab world have been stoked by images on television screens and in local media of Iraqi children and women killed by American attacks.

Demonstrations have been taking place across the Arab world. On Wednesday, some 20,000 people protested in Lebanon's southern city of Sidon, carrying pictures of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and graphic photos of Iraqi children killed in the war.

"They're just threatening Syria and Iran to cover up for their failure on the battlefield," Beirut taxi driver Mahmoud said.

"I wish to God that Syria and Iran would open fronts against the Americans.

"Then they'd learn what it really means to invade an Arab country."

In the West Bank city of Ramallah, Bassam Zakarneh, a 35-year-old engineer, said if the United States carried out threats to extend the war to Syria and Iran, "everything that has to do with America in the Arab world will be threatened in return".

NEWB
04-02-03, 11:42 PM
This just reminds me of the movie "Patton". The scene where he is being repremanded by Ike about the Russians. He mentions that he has the Army and supplies there already, give him 15 minutes and he'll start a war with them and make them think they started it. Actually, I think the other countries are blustering. They have seen what we can do and what we are willing to do.

lurchenstein
04-03-03, 12:58 AM
It's just their way of saying: "Don't come any closer or we'll run away too!":evilgrin:

Barndog
04-03-03, 02:28 AM
The French probally payed them to do it.

Sgt Sostand
04-03-03, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Barndog
The French probally payed them to do it.

Yep Yep!! i bet the French had something to do with it:marine:

GunnerMike
04-03-03, 07:31 AM
We still owe Syria a serious can of payback for their aid in regards to the Marine Barracks and Embassy in Beruit. 4th Armored will be in-country soon; we can mop up Iraq and resupply. Perhaps the other nations are "whistling while walking past the graveyard" and hope we don't decide to thump on them for a while.
I've stated previously, "Those who harbor, train, and/or fund Terrorists are our enemies and should be dealt with as Terrorists!"

greensideout
04-03-03, 05:47 PM
An Arab is an Arab.

I don't care what lines have been drawn in the sand or what country they say they live in, an Arab they are!

They brought their fight to us on 9-11 and we are now taking the fight back to them, hopefully to all of them so their attacks on us will end.

Why? They want America dead along with their other enemies. The list is long as they hate everyone who is not islamic.

Is this going to be a long protracted war? It cannot be otherwise.

An Arab is an Arab!

greensideout
04-03-03, 06:03 PM
To those that feel that my post is not "PC", so be it.

My harsh feelings are directed to the Arab country and islamic leadership that teaches hate.

I stand on what I've said.

Semper Fi

wrbones
04-03-03, 06:43 PM
In the one sentence, GSO, it ain't nuthin' but the truth. If ya ain't Islamic, yer infidel. Convert or die. If they don't have the whip hand, they're instructed to wait til they do.

If the PC types don't believe me they need to read that book.

pete03usmc
04-03-03, 06:53 PM
You can't hold every Arab or person of Middle Eastern heritage responsible for the acts of some. We cannot take on every Middle Eastern country because it doesn't agree with us, if we do we will be known as a Bully and the difference between right and wrong will be blurred. We have all lost brothers in Middle Eastern conflicts and it hurts, but an Arab is an Arab is not the way to approach it. In part I agree with greenside out, Target those that teach hate towards us, but don't hold the whole responsible for the acts of the few..

SEMPER FI

mrbsox
04-03-03, 07:54 PM
Remember the part about 'freedom of religion" ??

We DO NOT want to confound their RIGHTs, as Humans, with their inherient rights that we fight for. It is THEIR choce to be MUSLUM. It's NOT our fault, that they are WRONG.

BUT in the same stance, we CAN NOT let their religion become a harmful presence to ourselves.

What I'm saying is, they can be wrong, as long as they stay in their own yard.

firstsgtmike
04-03-03, 10:57 PM
I can just picture the Creator of the Universe sitting with his intimates. "Look at this! The program directory called for reruns of "Laugh-In". All I ever get from down there are scenes of this group killing that group, and they are both doing it for ME, in MY name. ( And none of them know WHAT my name is!)

Someone please, change the channel, pass the popcorn, and let's watch the cartoons from planet 5373921. Earthlings comedy has become boring."

(We should have known He had a sense of humor when He created the Platapus.)

NEWB
04-04-03, 12:18 AM
I heard the Minister of Information in Iraq calling for the people of Bagdad to rise to meet the infidel attackers....this gave me an idea of how to make some money and get back at the Iraqis. Why not make a bumper sticker that reads: "HAVE YOU YOU HUGGED YOUR LOVING INFIDEL TODAY." ........
Just a thought.

greensideout
04-16-04, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s823005.htm

Last Update: Thursday, April 3, 2003. 1:00am (AEST)
Arabs warn US not to use Iraq to pick new fights
Arab commentators and officials have warned the United States its war on Iraq was widening its circle of enemies in the Middle East and urged Washington to refrain from picking new fights.

The comments came in the wake of recent threats by senior members of President George W Bush's administration against Syria and Iran, and later Israeli warnings to Damascus, that they would be held to account if they gave support to Iraq.

Samir Ragab, editor of mainstream Egyptian daily al-Gomhuria, said threats issued by US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Colin Powell were hurting Washington's standing in the area at a time when it was making few gains on the ground in Iraq.

"It will not be in US interests to hurl threats at certain countries and create the impression that they are next on the list of US targets," Mr Ragab wrote in a comment column.

"It is expected that the US would keep silent, otherwise it will widen the circle of its enemies," he said.

Mr Powell and Mr Rumsfeld have signalled in separate comments that Syria must abandon what they say is its support for Iraq and "terrorism" or face the consequences.

Israeli Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz appeared to add fuel to the fire when he said both Israel and the United States viewed as "very grave" the aid Syria has allegedly given to Iraq.

Ghassan Charbel, deputy editor-in-chief of the pan-Arab al-Hayat, said Israel was trying to push the US-Syrian dispute over Iraq "to the point of conflict".

In Algiers, Algerian Foreign Minister Abdelaziz Belkhadem told parliament in an extraordinary session on Iraq that US threats to Syria would worsen the crisis in the Middle East.

"Algeria expresses its solidarity with brotherly Syria in the face of threats and menaces. The question now is who will be the next to be threatened?" he said.

Ghassan al-Khatib, Palestinian Minister of Labour, said the US approach would destabilise the region and harm Western interests.

"Democracy cannot be introduced by tanks and warplanes," he said.

Anti-US sentiments in the Arab world have been stoked by images on television screens and in local media of Iraqi children and women killed by American attacks.

Demonstrations have been taking place across the Arab world. On Wednesday, some 20,000 people protested in Lebanon's southern city of Sidon, carrying pictures of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and graphic photos of Iraqi children killed in the war.

"They're just threatening Syria and Iran to cover up for their failure on the battlefield," Beirut taxi driver Mahmoud said.

"I wish to God that Syria and Iran would open fronts against the Americans.

"Then they'd learn what it really means to invade an Arab country."

In the West Bank city of Ramallah, Bassam Zakarneh, a 35-year-old engineer, said if the United States carried out threats to extend the war to Syria and Iran, "everything that has to do with America in the Arab world will be threatened in return".

Well, Iran has opened that front according to today's news.

It seems that what was said on this thread and others at the begining of the war is still fresh.

GSO

greensideout
04-16-04, 07:55 PM
We may need more then the 20,000 troops that have been retained.

This old thread reads like today!

yellowwing
04-16-04, 10:20 PM
20,000 is a good enough start. Those giant birds from Barksdale and Guam can be there within 17 hours. You gotta love the Air Force for that!

My question is Are we going to sputter around for months with UN warnings? Or are we going to strike like the Panama and Grenada operations?

radio relay
04-16-04, 10:32 PM
There is not one Arab or muslim nation that is our friend, anyway! So, lets just nuke them all, and get it over with!!!

It's going to eventually come to that. Just push the buttons. Launch some ICBM's, and get the problem solved. We'd still have enough left over to stand off the rest of the world. However, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Russia, France, and Germany get a taste, too.

SF :marine: