PDA

View Full Version : War vet proud to be in Gophers uniform

thedrifter
10-17-07, 09:08 AM
War vet proud to be in Gophers uniform

Few athletes have appreciated the chance to compete as a Gopher more than Tyler Johnson, a war veteran who walked on with big-time intangibles.

By Chip Scoggins, Star Tribune

Last update: October 17, 2007 – 12:29 AM
On the surface it seemed like a routine tackle on a kickoff. Gophers sophomore walk-on Tyler Johnson saw the Northwestern returner coming his direction in the open field, and he closed in for the tackle.

The reaction was anything but routine. Johnson's teammates and coaches excitedly slapped his shoulders pads and helmet as he ran to the sideline.

"I just happened to be there to make the tackle," Johnson said.

The excitement around him told a different story, no matter how much Johnson tried to downplay things. His tackle Saturday in a 49-48 double-overtime loss at Northwestern came in Johnson's first football game in six years.

In the interim, he got married, had a daughter, joined the Marines, served two tours in Iraq -- one in Baghdad and one in the provincial capital of Ramadi -- and trained Marines in Chile and guarded detainees at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

Through it all, he always kept alive his dream of playing college football. So yeah, that one tackle last week had substance and meaning behind it.

"I had a lot of long nights thinking about coming and playing," he said.

Johnson, 23, graduated from Concordia Academy in 2002, joined the Marines and later become part of a unit known as Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team (FAST). He was deployed to Iraq in March 2004. He did his second tour with a different unit in September 2005.

Johnson rose to the rank of sergeant, leading his squad on patrols, ambushes and watches. He said he didn't sleep for more than two or three hours at a time. All told, he served 14 months in Iraq and earned his share of medals.

"I accomplished a lot of the goals that I set for myself," he said.

It didn't come without personal sacrifice. His daughter, Anika, just turned 4, meaning Johnson missed some of her life milestones.

"I missed the crawling and walking," he said. "It was tough [being away]."

Johnson returned in March 2006 and opted not to re-enlist. An inactive reserve now, he enrolled at Minnesota last year to pursue a degree in kinesiology and hopefully join the football team as a walk-on.

Johnson, a linebacker in high school, approached the Gophers staff a few weeks ago and the coaches gave him an opportunity.

"I feel lucky to even be given a chance to come out here," Johnson said. "I mean, I'm 5-7, 195 pounds."

That didn't matter to Gophers coach Tim Brewster, who marvels at Johnson's military background and go-for-broke mentality in practice. Johnson treats every practice as if it's his last.

"He will find a way to significantly impact our team in a positive way," Brewster said. "Exactly what way that is, who knows? But how do you not respect a kid who's done two tours in battle for this country, for me and you?"

Johnson's primary role is covering kicks, although he plays running back on the scout team. His teammates say he caught everyone's attention with how hard he works in practice. He's made more than one player's head snap back on blocks.

"I'm sure he appreciates this so much," senior linebacker Mike Sherels said. "He went from having a chance to get killed every day to coming out here and playing the greatest team game ever."

Johnson went through his first full-pads practice in six years two weeks ago, which he described as "fun as heck."

Johnson showed enough hustle in practice that he made the travel squad to Indiana, although he didn't play. He traveled again last week and saw his first action. He played in a handful of special-teams situations and was credited with one tackle.

"I just like to hit people," he said. "I like tackling people. Kickoff is my favorite part of the game."

Family members watching from his house erupted in cheers when he made his tackle.

"We were just excited to see him," said his wife, Danielle, a medical assistant.

Johnson said he was "sore" after the game. His body is still adjusting to the collisions. But he's had a taste of college football and wants more. But for how long?

Johnson would be 27 if he plays until his senior season. He already feels a little old now, and he wonders how his body will hold up. But he's having too much fun to worry about that.

"I'll do it until I can't do it anymore," Johnson said. "I'll go until my body tells me I can't. And then I'll probably try to go some more."

Chip Scoggins • ascoggins@startribune.com

Ellie