PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa

jimbob17755
10-17-07, 08:33 AM
Anybody out their can give me advice on how to find employment on okinawa?
I am retired from U.S.Post office and wish to relocate,but immigration laws are too strict. Any ideas?
Semper Fi,
Jimbob17755@yahoo.com :usmc:

sparkie
10-17-07, 08:52 AM
If the Japanese will let you,,, Buy a bar,,,;]

Phantom Blooper
10-17-07, 09:02 AM
Cohabitate with a Mamasan...then you won't have to work. Live off your American retirement!:beer:

:evilgrin:

sparkie
10-17-07, 09:10 AM
Fancy word for sumpthin else? Anyway, a bar owned by an old salt would go over big time, I would think. Other than that, don't the bases still have civilian workers?

A bar would be more fun, though.
Cohabitate with a bar owning Mamason,,:thumbup:

LeonardLawrence
10-17-07, 10:34 AM
Jimbob...only if you take me with you.

You can find job postings under the Navy Exchange and Marine Corps Exchange sites....

killerinstinct
10-17-07, 10:50 AM
can't you do civil service? And maybe get your foot in the door over there and buy something

Zulu 36
10-17-07, 11:38 AM
If the Japanese will let you,,, Buy a bar,,,;]

Yeah, you can call it "The Bar Ripmeoff." :marine:

jimbob17755
10-18-07, 08:08 AM
Thank you one and all for the helpfull advice!
some of the ideas have already been explored by me, for example: I won't need to co-habitate with a neisan, I would just go over and slip through the cracks and live off my pension and try to find work as an illegal alien-NO FUN-always looking over my shoulder.
The bar idea is great but I'll be over there COLD, no contacts, no help,not a huge amount of cash to through around!
Last, I have exhausted All possible ways of civillian employment, the jobs are for military dependents, or those that already have SOFA status, and the jobs that offer SOFA status I'm not qualified.
Does anyone have any leads to work for a furniture co., or fishing marina or warehouse work that is manual labour and might also get me SOFA status until a base job or USO job comes up? that way I'm already on Oki to apply, have a legit job and can also supplement my income.
REALLY APPRECIATE any input you guys can offer,and THANKS!
SEMPER FI
jimbob17755
P.S. the rules have really changed since I was there(1976-1978 camp schwab) then as civillian 1979,2002,2004,2006.,and yes I did try putting applications for civvy work but again I had no SOFA status and now I really feel uncomfortable about becoming illegal-where do I go for medical or dental etc. on base, ? they won't cater to civillians (other than retiree, military and their dependents) Maybe the best I can look forward to is another extended visit in 2008. Love hearing from anyone on this subject.

Covey_Rider
10-18-07, 08:24 AM
Don't really phase out the bar idea. There are guys that own multiple bars and need people to run some of their bars. Just something to get you started...I'm out here in Oki right now on Camp Hansen and the bar that me and my friends always went to just got bought out and it really ****ed us off. We had a lot of memories in that place. Besides that you could try and find a civilian that runs a range out here. I know one of the ranges out here on Hansen is run by a retired army guy. He's cool as hell and has a great job. Your options are really limited though because of that SOFA status though.

jimbob17755
10-18-07, 08:45 AM
Hey Covey,
Don't take it too hard that you was BEAT in that bar, it happens to us all! Last year I stayed at the bottom of Kin Vill at a little beach front bungalo, within walking distance of town. Right outside Hansen's main gate and across the street, walk in maybe 100 feet ? and there's a bar on the left corner. Well last Nov. I was talking to the american civ. ex marines that were renovating the place, it is downstairs, and yes you are correct, some bars do need people, now that I am free I'll look into that angle. Can you get me the name of the guy that runs the range or give him my info and email if he needs a worker? THANKS so much
Your pal, Jimbob S/F

Covey_Rider
10-18-07, 08:50 AM
Yeah I'll see what I can do...I'll be at that range tomorrow. It's a range used by all branches. Army special forces, Recon, hell even the airforce was out there today shooting. You know the bar "the Abyss"???

jimbob17755
10-18-07, 09:02 AM
That's the place all right, open for maybe a year now, guys seemed nice enough. thanks for any help you can!
Jimbob S/F

Covey_Rider
10-18-07, 09:05 AM
yeah the abyss was our bar. That's the one that just got bought out. Replace by "Mia's Rock Bar." It's horrible. We had all of our names on the walls etc with pictures and all that good stuff...that all got painted over...That bar was pretty much customized to us and now it's gone.

Ceya
10-29-07, 12:38 AM
I have been also looking to go back to OKI been there on 3 UDPs deployments back to back and as perm personnel

Put in for jobs in mainland Japan ( Yokosuka , Yokota) but AAFES you have to live in the place you are applying to or near it.

Man, I want to go back to the Marines so bad!

S/F,
CEYA!